Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

The time for top issues!

Greetings all. I have already counted on this be a costly fix.

Two days ago my top got stuck at the half way point, which sucked.

Well in looking in the back under the top hatch cover I found that the drivers side push rod poked thru the drivers side air intake hole - thru the foam into the plastic. It must have been rubbing on it for awhile but I didn't notice because it was bought a little while ago. So anyway the driverside top transmission doesn't rotate at all. My thoughts are that the stuck push rod seized that transmission. I can't rotate it at all unlike the other one meaning disconnect it and pull it a part.

I haven't check the relays yet thou. Any other thoughts? All the sensors work fine.

Cheers,

Matthew :(

• Moderators

I assume the top motor is working. The V-lever will not move unless a cable is turning. See if enough of the square drive is sticking out of the cable housing.

If your motor and cable is good then:

See if you can operate the transmission with a drill on the end of the cable. There are pictures in this section. The cable turns a worm gear which in turn turns a 1/2 moon gear in the transmission. Sometimes the moon gear will jump off the worm gear so while you are operating the drill you have to rotate the V-lever by hand to get the gears to mesh. Remember the cable can turn in either direction, as can the V-lever.

The best thing to do is remove the transmission and then the black metal plate on the rear. You can then inspect to see if it is ok. You will want to remove mostly likely just to replace the cable. There are pictures in this section.