Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Broken Clamp and Oil Gunk in AOS Hose

Replaced my AOS yesterday at 71K. Wasn't too bad thanks to the forums help but I did it late at night in the dark so it took longer than it should have.

I believe the hose in the picture connects the AOS to the crank case, is this right? This hose is the one that comes off the middle of the AOS and faces away from the throttle body.

The clamp that holds this hose to the AOS was brittle and broke. I don't mind the cost factor but it only comes with a new hose and I am lost at how to (and don't want to re-remove the aos) and track that hose to replace it. It goes deep enought I can't see its end. Bentley manual doesn't mention it anywhere.

1. Is this a high pressure hose or can I get away with not using a factory clamp? What exactly does this hose do?

2. There was a lot of gunk at the end of this hose. Is this somewhat normal? Is this bad news?

Thanks!

post-13500-1229054664_thumb.jpg

post-13500-1229055299_thumb.jpg

Edited by fasterjames

Oil in the J tube is a sure sign of a bad AOS. If you replaced your AOS, it is common to also replace the J tube that connects to the throttle body. You can order one from Sunset Porsche Part no. 996-107-145-06, price $25.43. Depending on your year you may need your VIN number to insure the correct tube.

Thanks kbrandsma. Yeah on mine they call it a Y tube and it was full of oil so I ordered this too, but haven't had a chance to finish it. My big fear though is that the gunk in the picture is from a different tube that is on the opposite side of the AOS & I can't find info on what its function is. The one in blue goes to the TB and the one in Red is the one I am wondering about.

There is gunk on the inside of the tube circled in red. There is no barrier between the tube in red and the accordian so I have to assume there is gunk where that goes too.

Am I looking at a vehicle that had poor service history before I bought it? It has 72K.

post-13500-1229488360_thumb.jpg

Doesn't the "red" hose snake its way over to the driver's side and connect to cylinder 4? I may not be remembering this correctly, but that is what I think. (I installed a Porsche Motorsports AOS in my track decdicated 986S as the stock one was inadeqaute for the Gs. I just can't remember all of it clearly.) If I am correct, then its purpose is to carry excess liquid oil and dump it back into the crank. I wouldn't expect oil in that hose to be very clean, but what you show in the picture seems a little unusual. However, if you are not showing any other oil related problems, and you are changing your oil and filter regularly, I would chalk it up to previous owner for now. I'd replace the hose and recheck in 5K to 10K miles.