Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

• Moderators

We need to start measuring more cars before and after.

We put the Porsche short shift in a 2003 C4S in November. The reduction was 36.85%. I measure the same way I did with the B&M install on the 2000 996 and it was 43%. This could be due just to the play in the shift cables or my human error, or maybe the transmissions are different.

This is the Porsche version of the B&M shift.

Armand1.jpg

Armand_7.jpg

• Moderators

The syncro debate - sure beats the oil debate.

Any syncro on any car can wear out over time. That is just the nature of a syncro since it's job it to get 2 gears spinning at different rpms to the same speed. In my younger student days I use to rebuild transmissions. The 2nd get syncro gets the most wear, and the top gear syncro the less. Give me your stock car for a day and I can speed shift it so that it will need at least 1 syncro. Give me your short shift car and I can drive it for over 100,000 miles with no syncro change.

There is a guy on the message boards who has repeated this 35% thing over and over. Ask him what is the source of this info.

If you give the syncro time to do its job it will last. Your syncro does not know what type of shift lever you are using - the factor is the human hand on the shift knob. But if you try to make it work faster then it knows.

Here is Danny's 2000 Boxster 2.7, a local Boxster owner. He has had a B&M for many years and cut the shift lever down, a lot. I was going to measure the percentage of reduction on his car, but there was not much to measure. The shift throw on his car is like turning a light switch on and off. He has no transmission problems. I have problems finding the correct gear in his car since I am not use to it. Danny does not have this problem.

centon_007aa.jpg

centon_008aa.jpg

• Moderators

Exactly. Syncros need time to work - not matter what shift lever you have. If you give them time to work with a short shift then they are not going to wear out any faster then with a normal shift.

Tomorrow we put in a B&M with an EVO shift link. I will measure that combination as well.

With the B&M under car kit, my 3rd to 4th gear shift throw went from 5" to 3 1/2", or a 30% reduction (the kit has a choice of 10%, 20% or 30% reduction, and I set it to 30%). Neutral moved forward 1/4".

The following shows stock on top and B&M on the bottom. The reduction in 3rd is greater than the pictures show, because neutral with the B&M is moved forward about 1/4".

stock_vs_B_M.sized.jpg

Edited by Poursha

• Moderators

So far the winner is the lowly 2.7 Boxster 5 speed. :P

With the B&M the first to second throw was reduced by 38.3%. Third to fourth by 46.4%. What is unique is that the reduction is not the same for both measure throws, but then as you can see the oem throws did not match either. It is on the 6 speed 996s I have measured.

Shift_July_24th_003.jpg

Shift_July_24th_004.jpg

Shift_July_24th_024.jpg

Shift_July_24th_026.jpg