Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Want to install SAT NAV & CD CHANGER

Hi Guys

Dont know if anyone can help. I am based in the UK and just bought a 2006 911 997 C2S. It has the PCM 3 I believe with Bose, and the phone module. But the car is missing sat nav and cd changer, so i want to get this installed. Spoke to Porsche dealer and I have been quoted £2000 for the Sat Nav and £610 for the CD changer. I already saw the CD changer on ebay for about £150 (CDC4). Anyway just wanted to find out the parts I would need to purchase if I was to get them off ebay or breakers. Here is my VIN WP0ZZZ99Z6S734737. I believe all I need to get are;

DVD device (Navigation unit)

CD Changer

GPS antenna?

anything else? Also can you tell me the part numbers that may work? When I spoke to dealer he just said all I need is the NAV Module 997-044-901-00?? I think that is just the retrofit kit which has everything?

Thanks for your help

The CD changer would be easier to get installed right. Even if you get the CD installed,

you will still need to go to the dealer so they can program it on. You need some kind

of device to program it on.

I would not mess around with the DVD navigation. There are two to three different

modules with 4 or 5 different DVD's to run the navigation. I would read up on this

in this forum. You will see what I mean.

Good luck.

Paul

The navigation system requires a cradle to hold the DVD unit, there is also a fibre optic cable to connect to the rear of the PCM 2.1 , then you will also need a wiring harness to connect the PCM 2.1 "wake up" signal to the rear of the DVD drive and the power and earth connections , plus a GPS reciever and cable. Finally you will need the map DVD. Depending on the model year of your car you may also need to update the PCM unit itself to run the latest map DVD. The DVD drive must be matched to the hardware level of your PCM and vehicle model type to work properly. Porsche can supply a complete kit with all the hardware required to install the DVD navigation unit , but you still need the Porsche workshop to enable or code the PCM to work with navigation unit. If you are not familiar with auto electrics or the navigation units , its best to order the kit and have it installed by someone else. Buying parts from e bay is only worthwhile if you know what to buy and are sure that the item is fully compatable and working. Personally I would save money on buying a Cd changer and get a dension unit instead. This takes the place of the Cd changer and allows MP3 files to be played via USB stick or i pod. The PCM sees the dension unit as if it were a CD changer though the amount of music available is about 100 fold more. The Dension can also be expanded to allow pairing with a phone via bluetooth allowing the PCM to act as the Host.

I bought my 2005 C2S a year ago and was faced with the same situation you have. After researching, I chose the Dension unit over the CD changer and am very pleased with the choice. I installed it myself in about an hour or so in the front compartment where the CD changer would go. As far as the nav unit is concerned, I suggest you try the factory nav before you spend the cash on it. There is no touch screen with the factory unit and it has many fewer features than a much cheaper aftermarket unit. I opted for the Garmin 650 which I leave in the glovebox unless I need it. It has touch screen, bluetooth, MSN, more points of interest and speaks the street names. It cost about 1/10 as much as the factory unit and has served me well. John