Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

how much money you have spent on your Cayenne?

I was thinking about this today, and I was wondering how much money you have invested in your Cayenne.

here is my story, and I'll be glad if you advise me what to do next?

I have for less then a year a CS MY04 now with close to 80.000km, and have discovered later that this is one of those first 2 years of production that will give you headaches, if the car wasnt taken at the dealer for solving all the TSB, or the dealer didnt do their job. however, some of the problems are not covered entirely from Porsche, afaik. Maybe, it's just me that I havent been so lucky :(

remember that i live in Europe, Romania and the prices for parts in my country are way bigger than in US for instance:

I have invested for maintenance, labour and parts, "only" arround or more than 2500$

- in which I have solved common problems for these cars like: ignition coils, spark plugs, replaced defective MAF units - both of them, front wheel bearings, door handle (driver side) with a newer one and right now it started not working properly - today I will try to check and see if there are any errors, replaced the throttle body complete - as the original one had been making a lot of problems. offcourse, in this I have included also all the filters, fluids, wipers, etc...

- besides that amount, 1 set of wheels & tires- the former ones were good enough summer tires (pirelli p zero assimetrico on 19") with a lot of thread left, actually it had paint on the tires but after a longer trip (arround 2k kms) I have seen a bad wear of the tires (inside the wheels), so at the end of the summer went and bought a new pair of 18" OEM wheels and a full set of tires as winter tires, Pirelli Scorpion Zero. however, lets say that I didnt spent so much money into those as I have sold the 19" wheels, and recovered almost 1/3 of the amount that i have spent into the newer ones. still, like other have discovered, after the new alignment was done, the bad wear hited again. Now, I need to buy new end links and get the car to the service once again. For summer, I have bought new summer wheels, a very nice, not new, set of OEM 20" SPORT DESIGN which I had them refurbished and a brand new set of tires: Pirelli Scorpion Zero Assimetrico 275/40/20" - very nice tires. hope this replacement of the end links, which dont shows that are bad btw, will solve this problem.

- another part of my bad luck with this car was that I had to replace also the AC compressor, as the former one got cracked somehow.

all of these can be summed as minimum 3k $.

and then:

because I wanted more from this car, at the beggining when I didnt knew what it will come:

- I bought 2nd bypass pipes from Fabspeed - arround 550$ without shipping to Romania

- Got for free of charge a PCM 2.1, but a defective unit - the LCD wasnt working - I dont have time to make a post of how that was fixed, but if you have defective units, dont throw them, contact me and I will tell you what you have to do. this applies also for PCM2, doesnt matter what car came from. 300$

- Durametric Professional version: arround a little over 1.1k $, for the tool+shipping+taxes

- xenon lights - 250$

- have bought all the parts new in order to change the front look into Turbo, and actually right now I have 2 Turbo Bumpers- one complete and one only the cover which it isnt new. - 3000$

and the list can go on, but dont remember everything.

the "custom" parts costs me: arround 5000$

a short summarise will bring that I have spent in less than 1 year: arround or more than 10.000 $. WTF???

is this what you normally pay?

if you cut all the parts that i didnt need them, it is also incredible how expansive it is to mantain this car.

still my car NEEDS the following: new driveshaft shaft, here cost arround 1500$ just the part without labour, the Tiptronic valve controller which is also arround 2000$, end tie rods, and a new key. if I will get them from states without shipping that will be huge, it will cost me arround 2k $. here arround 3500$. + I want to replace belts, as a kit with water pump etc...

My impression is that I should have bought another car. My buddies dont have so many problems with their cars like I did, owning X5 older and newer models, 5&7 series, Q7, A8, Range Rover, Toyota, Mercedes ML, GL, and also our twin brother Touareg with their V10 tdi, and the list can go on.

ok, you will say its an older car, but this was barelly used as I know this car since they've bought it: used only 2 1/2 years on highways across europe only for vacation purposes and other 1 1/2 was kept in garage and used from time to time - when I picked it they have replaced the batteries, also this car have seen higher rpms only from me, not that I've abused it somehow.

so for me, this car is the worst investment of all the times, not to count how much eats. the problem is that I cant sell it anymore, here the bad times have just appeared and people are more worried about what they will do tommorow, also need to mention there isnt such a big market for older Cayenne's as there are too many for sale newer and older.

Well, the large majority of your monetary investment was discretionary options: new wheels, "custom" body parts, diagnostic tools (WHY did you buy the pro model Durametric just for the Cayenne? Do you have 4 Porsches? If so, you're either A. crazy, or B. too rich to be posting on messageboards) all can not be blamed on the vehicle. You also bought a vehicle on the first/second year of production, which regardless of the manufacturer, always has more issues than later years. If you think the Cayenne run is bad, ask a few people about Jaguar XJ6s from the early-mid 90s. Porsche has never been known for its cabin amenities and interior electronics, so it sucks even in a Cayenne. Being upset about gas prices amuses me; it states clearly on the sticker (here in the USA) that it inhales gas alarmingly. I will remark the parts are expensive, for expensive's sake. There's no reason to pay $700+ for a plastic air intake, for example. I realize there's overhead, but... well, they're doing that wrong. And buying a gas hog SUV at the peak of SUVs for the most possible money as a "resale investment" is a disaster. A word of advice: if you plan on getting a new auto every 4 years, lease. If you are going to keep it till your wife/girlfriend crashes it or until it dies, buy it.

Dropping the customization options, you've spent $2500 or so. It was purchased as a 4 year old vehicle which makes it out-of-warranty. This drops the price in a normal market $5,000-$10,000 (which more than recoups your expenditure). I researched for about 3 months regarding my purchase; I decided a model on it's last 5,000 miles of warranty was worth the $3,000-4,000 price difference, and I was correct. I took it to the dealership 4-5 times to fix every single little nuance I had. Now I have a problem-free experience due to my diligence. Consider this on your next used-car purchase.

I can also safely say ANYONE who has ever driven my Cayenne has absolutely loved it, even my father who owns a Lexus 470 SUV of roughly the same year. There is no real comparison to a Cayenne Turbo as a vehicle besides the BMW. Even then, it's merely a matter of style that separates them (we paid more, but we're WAY quicker and faster).

Edited by 3ball

guess you are right, most of the amount invested are more optional, and thats were I was wrong at first. then I dont have 4 porsche's, but willing to get a 993 Turbo for myself sooner or later and changing the PCS with a GTS or Turbo. still this will not be 4 P cars but closer + some friends of mine. mesageboards: I have never heard of a rule that says if you are too rich you shouldn't (I'm not rich anyway - just enthusiastic about these cars). living in Romania, here I dont have any other options to check the car properly just two options: I know it sounds weird, but the P service from here are stellers and the others have only chinese clones of whatever diagnostic tools you want. for the Durametric tool, I'm just the third owner in the all country :). dont know who the others two are; I got this infos from Duram. anyway, I agree with you that I have spent some money that I wasnt supposed to in parts that werent mandatory. Also, prices for parts here are more than crazy, even if we are much closer than US customers are to the building factories :(. just multiply what you pay there with 2.5 or even 3, and you get our price. maybe I shouldnt have wrote all the details, but then someone could have asked: what did you bought for your car for this amount?

I know now that it would have been better if mine were a newer one 2005+ and that would have fixed many of my problems, but I know that now. one of the reasons for starting this thread was to knew how much money you guys are throwing into these cars? and this wasn't to justify my spendings on this car.

I had to buy a new battery for my 2004 CS.

I was thinking about this today, and I was wondering how much money you have invested in your Cayenne.

I have for less then a year a CS MY04 now with close to 80.000km, and have discovered later that this is one of those first 2 years of production that will give you headaches, if the car wasnt taken at the dealer for solving all the TSB, or the dealer didnt do their job. however, some of the problems are not covered entirely from Porsche, afaik. Maybe, it's just me that I havent been so lucky :(

remember that i live in Europe, Romania and the prices for parts in my country are way bigger than in US for instance:

I have invested for maintenance, labour and parts, "only" arround or more than 2500$

- in which I have solved common problems for these cars like: ignition coils, spark plugs, replaced defective MAF units - both of them, front wheel bearings, door handle (driver side) with a newer one and right now it started not working properly - today I will try to check and see if there are any errors, replaced the throttle body complete - as the original one had been making a lot of problems. offcourse, in this I have included also all the filters, fluids, wipers, etc...

- besides that amount, 1 set of wheels & tires- the former ones were good enough summer tires (pirelli p zero assimetrico on 19") with a lot of thread left, actually it had paint on the tires but after a longer trip (arround 2k kms) I have seen a bad wear of the tires (inside the wheels), so at the end of the summer went and bought a new pair of 18" OEM wheels and a full set of tires as winter tires, Pirelli Scorpion Zero. however, lets say that I didnt spent so much money into those as I have sold the 19" wheels, and recovered almost 1/3 of the amount that i have spent into the newer ones. still, like other have discovered, after the new alignment was done, the bad wear hited again. Now, I need to buy new end links and get the car to the service once again. For summer, I have bought new summer wheels, a very nice, not new, set of OEM 20" SPORT DESIGN which I had them refurbished and a brand new set of tires: Pirelli Scorpion Zero Assimetrico 275/40/20" - very nice tires. hope this replacement of the end links, which dont shows that are bad btw, will solve this problem.

- another part of my bad luck with this car was that I had to replace also the AC compressor, as the former one got cracked somehow.

and then:

because I wanted more from this car, at the beggining when I didnt knew what it will come:

- I bought 2nd bypass pipes from Fabspeed - arround 550$ without shipping to Romania

- Got for free of charge a PCM 2.1, but a defective unit - the LCD wasnt working - I dont have time to make a post of how that was fixed, but if you have defective units, dont throw them, contact me and I will tell you what you have to do. this applies also for PCM2, doesnt matter what car came from. 300$

- Durametric Professional version: arround a little over 1.1k $, for the tool+shipping+taxes

- xenon lights - 250$

- have bought all the parts new in order to change the front look into Turbo, and actually right now I have 2 Turbo Bumpers- one complete and one only the cover which it isnt new. - 3000$

a short summarise will bring that I have spent in less than 1 year: arround or more than 10.000 $. WTF???

if you cut all the parts that i didnt need them, it is also incredible how expansive it is to mantain this car.

still my car NEEDS the following: new driveshaft shaft, here cost arround 1500$ just the part without labour, the Tiptronic valve controller which is also arround 2000$, end tie rods, and a new key. if I will get them from states without shipping that will be huge, it will cost me arround 2k $. here arround 3500$. + I want to replace belts, as a kit with water pump etc...

My impression is that I should have bought another car. My buddies dont have so many problems with their cars like I did, owning X5 older and newer models, 5&7 series, Q7, A8, Range Rover, Toyota, Mercedes ML, GL, and also our twin brother Touareg with their V10 tdi, and the list can go on.

ok, you will say its an older car, but this was barelly used as I know this car since they've bought it: used only 2 1/2 years on highways across europe only for vacation purposes and other 1 1/2 was kept in garage and used from time to time - when I picked it they have replaced the batteries, also this car have seen higher rpms only from me, not that I've abused it somehow.

so for me, this car is the worst investment of all the times, not to count how much eats. the problem is that I cant sell it anymore, here the bad times have just appeared and people are more worried about what they will do tommorow, also need to mention there isnt such a big market for older Cayenne's as there are too many for sale newer and older.

[snip]

I put tires on my '04 Cayenne (it will be five years since I bought it in Feb), did all scheduled maintenance including recent 40,000 mile list, and mine is just 50 miles shy of 40,000 on the odometer. I had pretty much insignificant warranty issues during my ownership. Just this week I spent $500 on my first out of warranty non-maintenance item, bad sensor(s) in the radiator, which threw up the check engine light, and reset a bad key.

Hoping this post won't jinx my Cayenne...

I didn't feel the need to make it look or perform beyond what it is - stock was ok with me. If you are going to take a lower production, higher end vehicle from the category of enjoyable transportation to expensive hobby, you pay the price, no matter the nameplate.

It's not an investment...sounds like an expensive hobby! I've left mine the way they were when I drove them off the lot...for the most part.

The extent of my Tequipment/investment for the Gen 1 Cayenne:

Cargo Petition Part No. 955 044 000 13

Cargo Rubber Mat Part No. 955 044 000 17

Rubber Floor Mats Part No. 955 044 800 61

Regular Maintenance

Tires

Gen 2 Cayenne:

Gas (and lots of it!)

Both SUV's have been great!

All the best,

Bill B)

and then:

- xenon lights - 250$