Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Two questions on PCM 2.1 Multimedia and Navigaiton Update...

Greetings!

Model year: 1997

Body Style: C2 Cabriolet

Country specific information: Europe

I've ordered "997 044 901 50" Porsche Multipack 08/2007 EU PCM 2.1 (911, Boxter, Cayman) update kit, which constit of:

- PCM 2.1 DVD-Navigation Europe 08.2007

- PCM 2.1 Multimedia Update CD Navigaiton MY08

- PCM 2.1 Multimedia Update CD 1 911 Boxter Cayman

- PCM 2.1 Multimedia Update CD 2 911 Boxter Cayman

Also the kit included the following printed note: "System CD's are not mean for the customer. Only the dealer is authorized to install the new software. Installation instructions are available in Tls. (cm9297, b79307, c79327, cy9317)"

When I asked my dealer to make an update, a technician spent about an hour inserting/ejecting the discs in different orders both in PCM CD slot and in Navigaiton DVD reader. Finnaly he's got really confused (a charated of face) and stated to me that the update is successfully installed. However I didn't trust him and asked has he read the installation instructions recomended in the informative note. He answered that doesn't even has them.

So I decided to make an update by my own. Having read various PCM update troubles in the forum I decided to ask two main questions before making something.

1) If somebody has an access to Tls. (cm9297, b79307, c79327, cy9317), could you share these documents with me please.

2) As I understood a navigation map is stored in cache in PCM's memory. I think so because even if I eject navigation DVD at all from reader I still have and can use a map. So is there any way to clear this cache and fill it with new DVD-Navigation Europe 08.2007 content?

Thanks you in advance for competent help and support!

Having just installed the same update kit here in the US I can try to help some.

1. If you press 'Main' & 'Trip' simultaneously you'll get to the device/software screens. If your system Level is at 3.0 I suspect the updates were installed properly. What makes you think you have to 're-install' the updates? BTW: There is a defined sequence of install according to the TSB.

2. If you 'contribute' to RennTech you'll have access to all the TSB's in PDF format. You can't print them but you can download them to your PC and view them. FYI: I have the TSB for this update in printable PDF format if you need one. Just PM me and provide your email address.

3. If you press the 'NAV' button and then the 'SET' button you can do a factory restore. That should clear any 'artifacts' from cache or system memory. Reloading the NAV DVD also helps restore things.

and finally

Not knowing what model year your C2 is, the level of your PCM hardware/software, if you have a Bose Amp and if so, what level s/w is present it's hard to determine if you're good to go.

There are a couple of knowledgeable guys in this forum that most likely will pipe in w/ additional help and/or suggestions.

Good Luck!

:thumbup: :renntech: :thumbup: :renntech:

You have a 2007 model 997, so the amplifier will be 00017500 software or later if fitted. The discs in the kit are all the updates your car will require , there are no others. The multimedia update should be performed by a Porsche dealer so that in case of any problems , the dealer will pay for replacement or repairs. Since you have paid for the update at your local Porsche agent , they should carry out the update for you , free of charge. The MAP DVD does not load into the PCM memory , so as soon as the old map DVD is ejected and the new one inserted , the new map is used. The purpose of the other CD's in the kit are to allow older vehicles to be updated to the correct system software to work with the newer map. I suggest that with your vehicle you will only require the multimedia update for the navigation drive to be used. The update procedure for your vehicle should be therefore to remove the map DVd from the DVD drive in the front trunk (with ignition off), insert the multimedia update CD in the DVD drive , turn on the ignition and pcm and allow the update to take place. After the update is complete turn off the ignition and PCM , then eject the update CD from the DVD drive and replace it with the 2007 map. After the update , the new 2007 map will work straight away, but you may have an error message on the PCM screen the first time the map is run, this is normal and expected. Your porsche agent will only take about 15 minutes to update your vehilce to run the 2007 map DVD , as you will already be at level B software version 3 or above , and not require the other 2 Cd's to be used. if they have loaded the other 2 CD's without first checking the original software its possible they have rolled back your system software to an earlier level. If you can take the values from your PCM after pressing MAIN and TRIP buttons together and then selecting each of the sub menus PCM , SYSTEM, NAVIGATION etc , I may be able to confirm the current status and what needs to be done to resolve any issues.

Edited by berty987

I've captured my MAIN + TRIP information and it is:

SW versions 4.0

Unit:PCM
  Target:05395BD1 / 4505
  Actual:05395BD1 / 4505
  Entered:Yes
  Found:Yes

Unit:System Software
  Target:05462AD1 / 4605
  Actual:05462AD1 / 4605

Unit:Amplifier
  Target:00017600 / 3105
  Actual:00017600 / 3105

Unit:Navigation System
  Target: /
  Actual:00174436 / 2906

Unit:Phone
  Target:06351E54 / 3506
  Actual:06351E54 / 3506

I've captured my MAIN + TRIP information and it is:

SW versions 4.0

Unit:PCM
  Target:05395BD1 / 4505
  Actual:05395BD1 / 4505

Unit:System Software
  Target:05462AD1 / 4605
  Actual:05462AD1 / 4605

Unit:Amplifier
  Target:00017600 / 3105
  Actual:00017600 / 3105

Unit:Navigation System
  Target: /
  Actual:00174436 / 2906

Unit:Phone
  Target:06351E54 / 3506
  Actual:06351E54 / 3506

looks like a successful update, you have software version 4 which is level C already installed, the latest Bose amp software and telephone module software as well. The MAP is week 29 2006 which is also the latest map as is the navigation software. Nothing to worry about here.