Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I know that Rowlands57 went over this but wanted to make sure before ordering a new hitch and harness. I have a 2006 turbo without a tow package. Looked on e trailer and they have the hitch but no harness. Rowlands57 said part # 11775 will work from e-trailer, so is that all I need? Just the end plug? How about a mounting bracket? is the harness there even if you don't have the tow package? E-trailer said i needed to go to the dealer

Thanks

Way No

Without the tow package

You will need the tow control unit, wiring harness and time to wire it thru. Also if your not using the OEM unit you will have to fabricate a mounting for the socket

I know that Rowlands57 went over this but wanted to make sure before ordering a new hitch and harness. I have a 2006 turbo without a tow package. Looked on e trailer and they have the hitch but no harness. Rowlands57 said part # 11775 will work from e-trailer, so is that all I need? Just the end plug? How about a mounting bracket? is the harness there even if you don't have the tow package? E-trailer said i needed to go to the dealer

Thanks

Edited by mudman2

Thanks

I did order the tow package from the factory so all I was missing was the plug adapter that converted the 7-pin to a 4-pin 'flat plug' as that's what my utility trailer came with. Without that being factory installed I would have had to add the entire setup as mentioned in the previous post.

I added a trailer hitch to my 2006CS. I used a Curt Mfg hitch. etrailer.com $168.95

The factory parts required are:

955 618 040 10 Control unit List $147.84 Sunset 115.61

955 612 506 00 Harness List $134.79 Sunset 108.50

PNA 955 118 93 Adapter plug This is a 7 pin rv type plug to accomodate trailer brakes (It's called adapter plug It's really a receptacle w/ hinged cover mounts thru rear valance)

List $17.50 Sunset 12.08

PNA 955 12708 this converts the 7way round to 4 flat List 17.50 Sunset 12.08

if your trailer has led lights: UHaul 39008 (This part is similar to the 955 12708 but has internal resistors) 7way round to 5 flat (5th is backup lights) UHaul.com $29.95

Additional cost was $270 at the dealer to mount the control unit and program the computer to tell it that a trailer hitch is installed. I had the TSB that shows how to install the hitch but I couldn't figure out how to mount the control unit. Turns out it requires removal of the cd changer in the rear right side compartment then mounts behind the changer.

Edited by cmoore1

Cmoore1, thanks for the info, as I read it if I have no trailer package from the factory this is everything I need, Right? I just forward your parts breakdown to Sunset (Aaron) to order the wiring harness and control unit. Is there a TSB for the control unit install? Would like to do the install myself and then just take it to the dealer for programming.

Stolidog:

The TSB is #6690 on page 16 of the TSB list. It does show a picture of the control unit but it also refers to the workshop manual for a better description of the control unit install. I followed the rest of the instructions as far as mounting the hitch and routing the harness. I couldn't figure out the control unit mounting so I left that up to the dealer when I took it in for computer reprogramming. The control unit actually ends up being mounted behind the cd changer. The TSB calls for several fuses to be installed in the right side fuse box--on my 06 the fuses were already installed.

Charlie

Edited by cmoore1