Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Single Mass Flywheel for a 996

My car is a 2003 996, 3.6 C2

This replacement started as a RMS leak repair when it was discovered my clutch assy was 80% worn.

When I replaced my complete clutch assy, including a LWFW flywheel:

Parts

Flywheel seal 997 101 212 00

Clutch fork update, 996 997 116 712 00

Ball pin update 996 116 716 02

Clutch clamp 996 116 741 00

Clutch seal ring 996 116 743 00

Clutch disc CU881861859

Clutch cover 996 996 116 027 06

Alm flywheel FLW106411

Clutch release bearing 996 116 080 04

This is not a single part change over. 6.8 hours labor

You WILL hear more transmission noise (a clackity-clack noise when idling w/ the clutch disengaged). The engine does spin up much faster. You will need to retrain yourself on how to drive the vehicle (short learning curve but annoying).

If you are into a stock vehicle and don't like noises, do not go with this change. If you like the motor spinning up faster and can swallow the cost, go for it.

Mookster

This replacement started as a RMS leak repair when it was discovered my clutch assy was 80% worn.

Parts

Clutch disc CU881861859

Alm flywheel FLW106411

You WILL hear more transmission noise (a clackity-clack noise when idling w/ the clutch disengaged). The engine does spin up much faster. You will need to retrain yourself on how to drive the vehicle (short learning curve but annoying).

If you are into a stock vehicle and don't like noises, do not go with this change. If you like the motor spinning up faster and can swallow the cost, go for it.

Mookster

Where did you get your Alm flywheel FLW106411?, Is it made from Aluminum? Weight?,Number of bolts?, Price?, If it is not made from aluminum, why did you chose it?, any problem after installation?, your total parts cost?

I was looking for another option beside the wide offering of the aluminum flywheels (because of the noise that they make), then I read an article called "Flywheels - On the fly" on the europeancarweb, and it mentioned the big advantage of the Single Mass Flywheel over the Dual mass, that beside the increased performance, it made some noise, (but probably not that noisy compared with the aluminum flywheels), also mentioned that Porsche went with this decision for better performance in the GT3, I found that the 03-04 Porsche 996 GT3 Carrera RS has it, and that part weights 11.5 lbs. I

I would believe the Steel LWF would by virtue transmit more noise than an Aluminum I know the current Aluminum units weight around 13 lbs which might make the modulation and driveability easier as well. If I am not mistaken the Auminum unit facilitates the exchange of the friction surface purchased at a fraction of the cost while the steel flywheel will have to be replaced as a total unit. Mine does not make as much noise, or I am hard of hearing, I also have a spring hub which was recommended by the shop that installed it.

Regards

Tony

I would believe the Steel LWF would by virtue transmit more noise than an Aluminum I know the current Aluminum units weight around 13 lbs which might make the modulation and driveability easier as well. If I am not mistaken the Auminum unit facilitates the exchange of the friction surface purchased at a fraction of the cost while the steel flywheel will have to be replaced as a total unit. Mine does not make as much noise, or I am hard of hearing, I also have a spring hub which was recommended by the shop that installed it.

Regards

Tony

Hi racing97,

Which setup do you have?, Price? :lightbulb:

Parts

Clutch disc CU881861859

Alm flywheel FLW106411

Mookster

Where did you get your Alm flywheel FLW106411?, Is it made from Aluminum? Weight?,Number of bolts?, Price?, If it is not made from aluminum, why did you chose it?, any problem after installation?, your total parts cost?

I was looking for another option beside the wide offering of the aluminum flywheels (because of the noise that they make), then I read an article called "Flywheels - On the fly" on the europeancarweb, and it mentioned the big advantage of the Single Mass Flywheel over the Dual mass, that beside the increased performance, it made some noise, (but probably not that noisy compared with the aluminum flywheels), also mentioned that Porsche went with this decision for better performance in the GT3, I found that the 03-04 Porsche 996 GT3 Carrera RS has it, and that part weights 11.5 lbs. I

My mechanic located the flywheel, not sure were it was obtained.

It is made of Alm

I cannot comment on weight or bolts.

I went with alm to avoid excess weight to avoid another RMS leak. Mechanic advised it will wear better and it's more fun to drive. I agree with him. As mentioned, it took a day or 2 to relearn to drive the vehicle.

In 2007, flywheel $1500, total parts and shipping juster under $3000.