Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Windshield Replacement

turbojohn54

Picked up a big old rock last week on my windshield ('08 997TT). Luckily didn't hit the body work, but very aggravating nonetheless. Planning on replacing the windshield. Talked to the local Porsche dealer and they outsource the work to Safelite. However, I plan to order an OEM windshield and have Safelite install. A few questions:

Anybody got any experience with Safelite, including installation of their glass vs OEM?

What antennas are in the TT windshield?. I assume radio and GPS. Any issues with resetting audio system or GPS after installation?

Any other particular issues to ask Safelite about or monitor during/after the installation, based on your experience?

I talked to Safelite and they are happy to order the glass from Porsche. I checked retail price on the windshield - about $600. Does Safelite markup the glass any further?

What is reasonable labor charge for installation?

Thanks for any assistance folks. :D

Safelite installed a new windscreen in my Boxster last fall. Porsche glass, trim frame, and seal, all of which they obtained from one of my local dealers. From the paperwork they gave me, it looked like they paid dealer MSRP; I only paid my insurance deductible. Since insurance was paying, they needed to get their OK to buy the OE glass. When I asked Safelite about "their" glass, in case my insurance balked, they said it was equivalent, met DOT standards, etc. There are a few threads here in Renntech about different glass, including Saint Gobain (the OE supplier) and Pilkington. I theorized that the Safelite glass would end up being one of those; I never found out because my insurance company ended up springing for the OE glass anyway (thanks, USAA!).

I don't know how it is with your car, but the A-pillar trim and defroster panels had to come out. I did that myself before the installer arrived at my home. The A-pillar trim needed to be removed to make the radio antenna connection. The defroster trim needed to come out because they had to cut the glazing along the bottom of the windscreen from the inside of the car, rather than the outside. The trim could stay in to do that, but it seemed to me it could've been easily damaged by the cutting tool in the process.

Basically, though, there's nothing special it seems to changing the windscreen in one of our cars versus most others, it's just that there is a lot of potential to scratch or damage something else in the process. The paint around the windscreen; the body panels and paint due to leaning on them; the dash, seats/leather, etc. on the interior. I think that's mostly what there is to worry about. In my case, the installer was a nice guy and very professional. He took his time, at least two hours, and did excellent work.

--Brian

Thanks very much for the feedback. Looks like Safelite has the expertise and I will be getting the glass from Porsche. But I will definitely stand by and watch and make sure all the trim and paint stays protected when they do the install. It probably looks like I'm overworking this, but I didn't want to leave anything to chance. When it comes to my Porsche, I get a little crazy sometimes!

• 2 months later...
windshield repair for your automobile. Whether your personal vehicle is in need of auto glass repair or replacement, or a business vehicle is in need of auto glass ny repair or replacement, we give you the ability to search for and compare the best deals from the leaders in the industry to remedy your auto glass chip, crack, or break.

Got mine replaced about two months ago. Didn't go with the dealership just went to the local glass in town. Cost: 380.00 including labor. Then again, my Boxster is old that's why it cost less. They have aftermarket and I know it cost less than that. Since, you'll never know what's going to happen in the future and the same incident may happen, my opinion is go with aftermarket. But if you have an extra money to spend on OEM windshield, then I'd go OEM.

• 2 weeks later...
windshield repair for your automobile. Whether your personal vehicle is in need of auto glass repair or replacement, or a business vehicle is in need of auto glass ny repair or replacement, we give you the ability to search for and compare the best deals from the leaders in the industry to remedy your auto glass chip, crack, or break.

Got mine replaced about two months ago. Didn't go with the dealership just went to the local glass in town. Cost: 380.00 including labor. Then again, my Boxster is old that's why it cost less. They have aftermarket and I know it cost less than that. Since, you'll never know what's going to happen in the future and the same incident may happen, my opinion is go with aftermarket. But if you have an extra money to spend on OEM windshield, then I'd go OEM.

Hi, I have an old Boxster with a broken windshield and the price they are asking is ~700$. Where did you do it for 380$???

Thanks

Hi, I have an old Boxster with a broken windshield and the price they are asking is ~700$. Where did you do it for 380$???

Thanks

any local glass company can do it....

• 1 month later...