Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Reliability of 87-89 Carrera

I am looking to purchase an 87-89 Carrera and use it as an every day driver. Am I setting myself up for disappointment and spending too much time on the side of the road with a dead car. Or if as I hear if you get a good one they are rock solid and no prob as an every day driver

what kind of dollars should I budget for annual maintenance?

Any major known probs with these years I should look for?

Cheers

Jack

• 1 month later...

I have an '87 Coupé that I bought in 2007 with 68k miles. It was in immaculate condition and I just did a few things to it, as soon as I got it, to ensure everything was the way it needed to be as far as mechanicals are concerned. I have stuck to the book when it comes to maintenance and you can expect about $400 more or less every 15k miles for the service that includes the valve adjustments. Other than that, add some oil when needed (it is very important to regularly look at the oil level) and rear tires every 12-15k miles and twice those many miles for front ones depending on how you drive. My car now has 95k miles and it is my daily driver. No complaints at all! If you find a good one, there will be no regrets. I have taken it to about 5 or 6 DEs and it hasn't let me down once. My tire consumption figures I mentioned earlier take this into account as I use the same tires I have both for the street and for DEs.

If you live in a hot state like me, I'd invest some money in the A/C as it really is a joke as it comes from the factory. I bought the Griffiths system and have 0 regrets or complaints. My car cools just as good and as fast as my 2006 Carrera S with this system on. I wouldn't have even considered the car as a daily driver if it weren't for the possibility of upgrading the A/C.

I hope this helps.

Cibergypsy...I am looking at an immaculate 88 Carrera sunroof, and live in AZ...where do I find info about the Griffiths system...approximate installed cost? Your reply is much appreciated, and hope that you had a great 4TH. Bob-new member.

I have an '87 Coupé that I bought in 2007 with 68k miles. It was in immaculate condition and I just did a few things to it, as soon as I got it, to ensure everything was the way it needed to be as far as mechanicals are concerned. I have stuck to the book when it comes to maintenance and you can expect about $400 more or less every 15k miles for the service that includes the valve adjustments. Other than that, add some oil when needed (it is very important to regularly look at the oil level) and rear tires every 12-15k miles and twice those many miles for front ones depending on how you drive. My car now has 95k miles and it is my daily driver. No complaints at all! If you find a good one, there will be no regrets. I have taken it to about 5 or 6 DEs and it hasn't let me down once. My tire consumption figures I mentioned earlier take this into account as I use the same tires I have both for the street and for DEs.

If you live in a hot state like me, I'd invest some money in the A/C as it really is a joke as it comes from the factory. I bought the Griffiths system and have 0 regrets or complaints. My car cools just as good and as fast as my 2006 Carrera S with this system on. I wouldn't have even considered the car as a daily driver if it weren't for the possibility of upgrading the A/C.

I hope this helps.

Hi Jack,

I can't over-emphasize that you should have your final choice gone over with a "fine tooth comb".

A complete car history including service records, body review, and inspection by a "HIGHLY QUALIFIED"

and strongly recommended machanic.

Also, check out the environment where the car lives.

How a person maintains their home can be a reflection on how well they care for their cars.

Some of the 3.2 issues are valve guides, A/C, body repairs (Carfax), oil consumption,

and top fit/leaks on the Targa models.

If you have a 911 friend, have him accompany you on your search.

Also, FYI, the only major difference '86 v/s '87-89 is the (dual disc) clutch, and the G50.

Most everything else is the same car.

Excellence magazine publishes current sale prices on most 911's.

If you are A/C dependent you will want to upgrade to the ProCooler setup.

And, installing a oil cooler fan with a Nason TT-E3A-197R-/QCGG (197F) temperature

switch is strongly recommended.

High oil temperatures is "THE" 911 killer...........

Good luck on your search, and, take your time.

Gerry

Edited by 86targa

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Their website is www.griffiths.com and there you can find everything needed to make the car a true, year round car. I live in FL and the heat here is unbearable in the Summer. I have no problems leaving my car in the Sun at noon for a long time and then getting in it, turning on the A/C and have to bring it down from max after a while because it's too cold.

Sorry for not responding sooner but I haven't visited until now. :)

Cibergypsy...I am looking at an immaculate 88 Carrera sunroof, and live in AZ...where do I find info about the Griffiths system...approximate installed cost? Your reply is much appreciated, and hope that you had a great 4TH. Bob-new member.

I hope this helps.

• 5 months later...

87-89 cars are the best of the torsion bar cars. Two areas that need to be checked are valve guides and head studs specifically the lower exhaust studs. They were made with dilavar and are more breaking on Carrera's as they age. I did a rebuild on mine at 88,000 due to gudes and two broken studs. Car has been stored winters and great care and maintenace. Get a PPI by a Porsche mechanic who knows these cars, well worth the money.

I am partial to the 88. If everything is good go for it...

post-54651-126708465795_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've had a semi-daily driver 88 targa for five years now. Bought with 80K now has 104K. Had the brakes and rotors changed, oil changed, and changed the trans fluid myself. If it has a pretty good maintenance history, I wouldn't hesitate to get one as a daily driver.

Good Luck.