Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

need help with swap ...big problems

I have a boxster with no engine, no transmission, no dme and no dme harness.only have harness coming from dash to the back.

i am getting ready to pick up a salvage 996 from a friend for $3500, car still starts. not e-gas.

here are my question once i obtain the 996.

1. can i use the dme and dme harness from his 996 in the boxster or do i have to do the whole harness swap from cluster all the way back to rear?

do i still have to have it reflash for security bypass?

2. i know i'll still have to find a tiptronic transmission for boxster to mate with the 996 engine and sell the 996 transmission.

and buy a couple of mounts. i won't need spacer for the mount for my project because the whole engine compartment lid area has been

chopped off.revealing only the frame of car.unless somehow i can turn around the whole engine and transmission like in a boxster and make it

work somehow,then i'll be able to drive backward real fast,lol.

3.dropping in a 996 without the old engine is gonna suck, what parts do i need to obtain, i have tod write up but he has an old engine and he is using

his boxster dme. but if i have the whole 996 car what is needed to be remove to complete the swap?

here is the picture of my project i am building.

As you can see in the first picture the entire boxster engine compartment is gone.

post-44577-1244400002_thumb.jpg

post-44577-1244400019_thumb.jpg

See the answers below

1. can i use the dme and dme harness from his 996 in the boxster or do i have to do the whole harness swap from cluster all the way back to rear?

do i still have to have it reflash for security bypass?

Yes, you can use the 996 DME, you´ll need also matching keys and the antitheft module frm the 996. I don´t know how the Boxter harness is, from the cluster to back, but the 996 one has connectors (n my cabri) right behind the doors (3 on driver´s side, and one on the oppsite). From these connectors, another one goes t the engine compartment, and these plugs are different that Boxter one. As you are making a revolution instead of evolution in your car, maybe the easiest way is to change the entire 996 harness.

2. i know i'll still have to find a tiptronic transmission for boxster to mate with the 996 engine and sell the 996 transmission.

and buy a couple of mounts. i won't need spacer for the mount for my project because the whole engine compartment lid area has been

chopped off.revealing only the frame of car.unless somehow i can turn around the whole engine and transmission like in a boxster and make it

work somehow,then i'll be able to drive backward real fast,lol.

Yep, it´s esier to source a boxter trans.

3.dropping in a 996 without the old engine is gonna suck, what parts do i need to obtain, i have tod write up but he has an old engine and he is using

his boxster dme. but if i have the whole 996 car what is needed to be remove to complete the swap?

If your Boxter chasis has the fuel/powersteering/A/C lines, then very little has to be done (some relocating of these lines).

BTW, I need some parts from your 996 chasis, as I´m making a 3.8 S engine conversion to my 996. Could you sell me one A/C hose, and a powersteering hose, and one water cooling metallic hose/tube? You won´t need these parts as your Boxter has different ones.

I wish you luck with your project...

Kare