Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

ABS & Battery light flashing

Hey All,

I am hoping someone has an answer for this or that the fix isn't mortgage worthy! I started driving to work today, lovely weather so i had the top down. I noticed a really loud rattle from the rear underside of the car. My first thought was that it was probably the head guard for the exhaust and that i would take a look later. As i slowed down it got really bad and then i noticed that my ABS light and my battery light were flashing like crazy. The weird thing was that the disco lights on my dash seemed to be tied to the rattle??? Slowing down and braking, lots of rattle and lights, accelarating - slight rattle and not so many lights.

Does anyone know what this could be? Really appreciate anyones help.

Martin

• Moderators

Probably something wrong with the poly V-belt, rollers, water pump alternator, etc. I would take a look behind the inspection plate in fire wall to start with, and don't drive or start the car to prevent more expensive damage.

Thanks RFM. Why would it only be intermittent though??? Its not doing it all the time, just started this morning. I was just about to take it to the garage and it wasn't doing it.

Gristy,

I'd look for anything that the 2 circuits share. I think it's all down stream electrics. You could probably verify this by slamming the breaks during an episode and see if they are actually malfunctioning (doubt it). Rattle may or may not be directly related to the I.L.'s but since it's sympathetic, find it (ya, just like that). It may be some broken piece of flotsam flopping around around those circuits.

My bet is that you have the equivalent of havering a light and a radio stuck into a dangling wall splitter. Punch the wall and the, the splitter rattles, and the radio is going to dance with the light.

Regards, PK

Edited by pk2

Thanks guys, i have taken it into the Garage cos i was worried i might be doing damage. Pretty sure they will say that they didn't find anything - always seems to be the case!! Will keep you posted if they do find anything.

I just don't see how. I don't believe in predictable coincidences. It's almost an oxymoron. if I understand you correctly, ya hit a rough patch, something rattles an two lights on your dash lights flicker. It your senor the BEGINING of this CHAN of events? I don't see it. Its a third element that's rattling and grounding those 2 lights on the dash, well there right next to each other.... The abs sensor is way out there in left field.

Regards, PK

Correct, except no rough patch is needed! Worse part is i have tried to get it to do it again for the service people and it won't. What concerns me was that it was LOUD, then it just stopped.....

Gristy,

I'd look for anything that the 2 circuits share. I think it's all down stream electrics. You could probably verify this by slamming the breaks during an episode and see if they are actually malfunctioning (doubt it). Rattle may or may not be directly related to the I.L.'s but since it's sympathetic, find it (ya, just like that). It may be some broken piece of flotsam flopping around around those circuits.

My bet is that you have the equivalent of havering a light and a radio stuck into a dangling wall splitter. Punch the wall and the, the splitter rattles, and the radio is going to dance with the light.

Regards, PK

sorry what language is this? if flotsam flopping around around these circuits isn't left field not sure what is. Could be some of that flotsam took out the ABS sensor lead

Correct, except no rough patch is needed!
Do you feel any vibration, anything unique going on either inside or outside the car (wind rain,heavy throttle, 3rd gear etc... anything at all?
Worse part is i have tried to get it to do it again for the service people and it won't.
Isn't that how it's supposed to work? Did you drive it together (service-person & you)? Doubling the weight could be plenty enough to have suspension or something nudge something out of the way
What concerns me was that it was LOUD,
What sort of noise? rattle. slow snap, knocking, droan, screech, clatter, can you tell where it's coming from? Is it at all related to the speed of the car or, the speed of the engine
then it just stopped.....
That one is fathomable. Anything that makes a racket is going to be break itself apart sooner or later and disappear. But you are loosing all it's functionality. Pieces of your noisemaker are scattered down the high way or still on your car but kicked out of the way. Did the boys put it on a lift? Even if its out of site, it probably left whip marks

If the noise is gone and it's running well I don't think you have anything catastrophic. Big noise though is never good asap, have someone knowledgeable with the cars look it over but good, put it on a lift. even if the noisemaker is gone it probably left some marks on it' wat out.

PK

Hey all,

Went and picked it up. The dealer found nothing wrong and was unable to replicate the issue.... Doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy but we shall see.

Thanks for all the advice!

Martin