Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Windshield / Windscreen Wiper Problems

Hi All

Needed a replacement windscreen after a stone cracked the glass

When the first screen was installed (at my home by a mobile installer) the passenger wiper did not touch the screen in the middle.

When in use about 6in of the screen at the bottom does not get wiped.

The fitters re-ordered a new screen direct from Porsche so not a VW screen, to hopefully resolve the issue...

Not the case, the wiper still does not touch. The have suggested replacing the blades with new ones, but these were only replaced last march as part of the service. I have tried the old blades and the result is exactly the same...

Any ideas anyone.

Thanking you all in anticipation

Lee

Please excuse the photos, taken on my phone and probably upside down. But if you know what you are looking at you can see the mid section of the blade does not touch the screen.

Cheers

Lee

post-29304-1247571011_thumb.jpg

post-29304-1247571048_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

Check in first place the wiper mechanism support under the black plastic trim, some will break off by removing the wiper arms for a wind screen replacement. If it is not the case, lubricate with some oil, the wiper arms and springs, on the lower pivot point, pull the arms away from the wind screen and push them back at least 20 times or more if necessary, test the wiper function again. If no result, replace the wiper arms.

Thanks for your quick reply....

Sorry, dumb questions. How do you check the mechanism support? Would the whole assembly appear loose? Do I need to remove the wiper arm and then the plastic trim to have proper look?? If I do, is there a correct method for removing the wiper arms, once the nut(s) has been removed? Seems to be "stuck" down really well.

Going to try the lube with some wd40 and copper grease. First.

Wish me luck, and thanks again.

Lee

• Moderators

The wiper arms should be removed by a special tool, a kind of separator, the arms are very hard to remove without the tool and that's the reason why the support will break off once in a while. Slide with one hand under the plastic trim and grab with the other hand the wiper axle, wiggle from left to right with the axle and feel for excessive play.

I have seen this happen twice and both time it was caused from the tech bending the wiper arm when replacing the windscreen. As RFM stated, if the spindle supports are not broken the you need new arms. On the one vehicle I managed to straighten the arm but had to replace the units on the other.

• 3 weeks later...
Check in first place the wiper mechanism support under the black plastic trim, some will break off by removing the wiper arms for a wind screen replacement. If it is not the case, lubricate with some oil, the wiper arms and springs, on the lower pivot point, pull the arms away from the wind screen and push them back at least 20 times or more if necessary, test the wiper function again. If no result, replace the wiper arms.

I have the same issue and it is the wiper mechanism support bar that runs the length of the windshield under the black trim. The wiper still works however the support to hold the wiper in place has broken off. Having said this....anyone have any ideas on where to get a replacement for this other than through the dealer? Also, how hard is it to get the metal piece (attaches to wiper arm) out of the end of the tube to replace or am I better off to get the whole new bar?

Thanks

• Moderators

If you are located in the US, contact the board sponsor for a good price, use the "Porsche Parts at Dealer Cost" button on top of each page.