Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

comparison/choosing - 08 GTS vs 09 GTS ?

I am looking at the GTS very seriously, was going to do some sort of fun "car" but can use the suv for business tax deduction whereas an actual car, won't work as it's not over 6000 gvwr and in honesty, i couldn't use a little car much anyway whereas the Cayenne will be great for my work and the travel for work (hauling gear, working actually out of and on top of the vehicle often - with a serious rack of course)

I am comparing also the G55 benz but know the GTS with a 6spd will be more fun and certainly more comfortable for the mutli-day and 10 hr driving days.

Cost wise, the GTS is considerably cheaper too $25k 09 gts optioned to $95k vs 09 G55 at $120k. Then factor it won't be cash and the 1.9 apr right now on Porsche is pretty interesting. The net difference is a good $35k when comparing new 09's and that's something to think about but not a definite reason for me to give up the G55 idea considering I can still depreciate it for business and would likely still want a G in the years to come. Then toss in I found an 08 GTS in the build I would like marked down to $65k (pdcc, 6spd manual, audio, sunroof, metallic black on black, black exterior trim, hitch, bi-xenon, heated seats and steering whl).....now we're amazingly at 1/2 the end total payout for the GTS vs the G55. I could do a lot with the other $65k. For me to seriously justify the G, it has to be a "forever" vehicle, and it likely would be anyway, but I am not sure the Cayenne will hold up to "forever" whereas the G is simpler in many aspects and will more likely go 300-400,000 miles. (I run about 30,000 / year but it is now at least over 3 vehicles instead of one)

I don't pay loans full term but I do still not like to blow $ on interest, thus liking the idea of the 1.9 apr on Porsche vs ~6% or worse on a G as Mercedes is not doing any apr specials on the G model.

It's not all about $ though, there are some things about the GTS I love and will really enjoy for travel especially.

My main question is are there any major differences between the 08 and 09 GTS? At least the 08 got the first direct injection improving fuel economy a little and I think output. Were there any other major chances in tech gadgets or mechanical worth noting? The 08 I'm looking at doesn't have nav but I'm not all that worried as I would have a nicely integrated kenwood touch screen along with reverse camera, bluetooth, etc done in Bellevue, WA by Benchmark where I had them do similar stuff on my Audi S4. Bellevue Porsche has a red 09 gts in 6spd too but there's is msrp $95k so that's $30k over this 08 I'm eying.

Any thoughts I haven't even asked about are welcome. I know very little about these so far but also drove an 09 targa that got me thinking of small, but I just can't do that yet. At least the suv's are a business expense.

Thanks.

G forever? I have owned 4 Gwagons and still own a 99 SWB G500. I had a '05 55 that I traded on a Cayenne TS. The only flaw in your logic is the MB=forever part. Those days have come and gone. The first US G wagon (non Europa) were 2002. I had two 02's. They both were "forever" vehicles (two homes). They both were gone due to poor service and disasterous electronics. My '05 was better and it was fun. But after it split its right header and required a new one which took 6 weeks (I eventually put an aftermarket Kleemann setup on because I was tired of waiting) and then it ate its tranny at 46K after just meticulous care I gave up. Just for reference my SWB has 80K on it and NEVER broke. I drove them all the same way. MB has a problem. I can say after the first 9 weeks with my Cayenne that it is a no brainer. Do not even pretend to get the G for any reason other than extreme off roading as it is not in the same class in all other respects.

Do not even pretend to get the G for any reason other than extreme off roading as it is not in the same class in all other respects.

Thanks for that insight, good things to think about. I forgot to mention that I also have, and will keep, a 2004 Land Rover Discovery that is slightly set up already for trails and camping (dual battery, air tank, compressor, slight lift) and is going quite well. Although it is not necessary built as robust in some aspects as an 04 G and is in no way as fancy, it is essentially for all practical purposes, the same solution in that is on steel springs, has great 4x4 system (which for a mere $2000 can have front and rear lockers), and is even taller inside for bikes and cargo than the G. The big plus, I own it and it's fun and if I destroy it, i'm only out a small amount of $.

I use it in NC for work while the LR3, that I want to replace maybe, is the "travel" and camping vehicle. I hate it's handling, lack of comfort, sorry power and transmission that won;t hold 6th enough for better fuel economy. Maybe I swap these out, the Disco for fun camping, the LR3 just for work, and the GTS for long trips/all around. Or, no additional suv and a fun "car" instead. Ugh.