Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Retrofitting 997-2 LED tail lights

Hi guys,

I wonder if some of you could help me with this.

I changed the rear of my 997 my2006 into the new style of 997-2 LED rear lights by replacing also the rear bumper.

Yes, the car looks great but I`m stuck with the lights functional now.

Now I have seen there`s a rear module controlling these lights, the part number I found for the 997-2 model also fits the 997-1.

This should know how to control the new LED tail lights.

I am not sure if replacing this module will be enough. Do I have to replace also the front module? Do I have to code the new module?

Oh, and where do I have to search in the vehicle for the module?

To be more precise, I have in the car the following rear module:

997 618 260 06

and I want to replace it with:

997 618 260 08

Enlighten me please if you have the knowledge,

thank you.

Greetings as well, guys!

Like the original poster, I too am performing this upgrade on my '06 997 S and found this post while searching these forums for answers.

I have the following:

• rear light control module (997 618 260 08)
  • two harness adapters
  • rear LED tail lights
  • but no instructions were provided, unfortunately

Do you happen to know...

1. if the rear light control module is located under the driver's seat?

2. if I will be required to take the car to the dealership to enable/activate the new light control module?

Thank you very much for your time and help,

Cliff

I talked to gemballa..they do this swap.. for $1995 including all hardware and mounting.. (you need to provide the rear-skirt though) or purshase some of theirs.. anyhow.. you might get some installation help from them..

- mike

I talked to gemballa..they do this swap.. for $1995 including all hardware and mounting.. (you need to provide the rear-skirt though) or purshase some of theirs.. anyhow.. you might get some installation help from them..

- mike

Wow, this is great!!!

Could you ask them the parts list needed for this operation?

And of course if there`s any special procedure besides mounting them on the car...

UPDATE:

• I was told the rear light control module is in fact located under the driver's seat on the 2006 997 S. A simple exchange with the newer one.
  • The wires/pins need to pulled out of the rear tail light harness connectors (that plug into the older tail lights) and inserted into the new harness adapters. The new harness adapters are connectors that plug into the new LED tail lights.
  • There have been no reports of needing to have any coding done by the dealership.

Once my car is out of the shop I will work on trying to verify this information.

Thanks,

cdw

UPDATE:

• I was told the rear light control module is in fact located under the driver's seat on the 2006 997 S. A simple exchange with the newer one.
  • The wires/pins need to pulled out of the rear tail light harness connectors (that plug into the older tail lights) and inserted into the new harness adapters. The new harness adapters are connectors that plug into the new LED tail lights.
  • There have been no reports of needing to have any coding done by the dealership.

Once my car is out of the shop I will work on trying to verify this information.

Thanks,

cdw

Hello,

Is you car ready? How it`s everything working now?

Was it only the rear module replaced?

Hi, no, it's not quite ready...hopefully by the end of this week it will be out of the shop.

And if so, I'll work on the lights this weekend.

Thanks,

Cliff

Hi, no, it's not quite ready...hopefully by the end of this week it will be out of the shop.

And if so, I'll work on the lights this weekend.

Thanks,

Cliff

Looking forward to have your reply before I place the order for my rear module.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
CDW,

any updates on this?

Sam

Hi Sam, unfortunately my car is STILL in the shop at Northrich Auto. I was about to get it back when they told me the oil temp gauge went out. It's been over two weeks, so I called them and they told me they sent the cluster off to be repaired. I asked why they just didn't get the gauge replaced under warranty, and they said Porsche probably wouldn't honor it since I have a supercharger on the car. That didn't make sense to me, but they told me it would be ready that day or the next so I left things as they were. That was last week. I still don't have the car back, but I am waiting on the new Vorsteiner flat-bottom steering wheel to come in, so if it does, I'll have that done while the car is still in the shop.

Anyway, I asked SunCoast Porsche's parts department to send me a diagram/exploded view of where the rear light control module is and how to get to it, but they said it isn't shown in their system - but their mechanics say it is under the driver's seat...they haven't replied with any more detail yet. I'm not sure where under the seat since I don't have my car back to look myself, but I promise I'll get to it as soon as possible since I need to get the lights hooked up before taking the car to Stuarts to have the new rear bumper installed.

Thanks,

Cliff

There is a box under the driver's seat. I thought that this box

controled the seat. It has a wiring harness to the seat.

Paul

Great - I'll be sure to check into that then...thanks Paul.

Update: My instrument cluster is back in, and now they've got an appointment Thursday morning to take my car somewhere else and have the fuel maps tuned better...it's running lean off idle and at WOT.

So there's a small chance they'll be done with it before this weekend comes...but you've heard that story before. :)

Hi guys,

I changed the rear of my 997 my2006 into the new style of 997-2 LED rear lights by replacing also the rear bumper.

Now I have seen there`s a rear module controlling these lights, the part number I found for the 997-2 model also fits the 997-1.

I am not sure if replacing this module will be enough. Do I have to replace also the front module? Do I have to code the new module?

997 618 260 06

997 618 260 08

thank you.

Finally I did it.

It was quite simple, replaced the rear module as shown above (under the driver seat)

Using PIWIS, under REAR module replacement I read the coding data from the former module, swapped them and wrote into the new one.

Under coding menu I found a new item showing "Incandescent bulbs" and switched that into LED.

Erased all the fault entries in the car due to loss of communication with REAR module.

Everything is working just fine now.

Finally I did it.

It was quite simple, replaced the rear module as shown above (under the driver seat)

Using PIWIS, under REAR module replacement I read the coding data from the former module, swapped them and wrote into the new one.

Under coding menu I found a new item showing "Incandescent bulbs" and switched that into LED.

Erased all the fault entries in the car due to loss of communication with REAR module.

Awesome!

1. Did you have to remove the driver's seat?

2. So the new module required the coding data from the former module to be written to it?

Thanks,

Cliff

Finally I did it.

Awesome!

1. Did you have to remove the driver's seat?

2. So the new module required the coding data from the former module to be written to it?

Thanks,

Cliff

1. Yes, I didn`t have enough space to handle the module.

2. Yes, the coding data needed to be read from the old module (chasis, country designation, car equipments, a.s.o.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi guys,

997 618 260 06

997 618 260 08

thank you.

Finally I did it.

Hi Sam and Cliff and others!

I was following your threads with much interest - you guys are great and already answered most of my core questions! I also intend to do the rear and front gen1 > gen2 -conversion to my '06 997 / C2, using factory bumpers.

BTW, I found the best prices for OEM parts here: www.porscheoemparts.com

Right now I'm in the process of collecting the needed parts, and have a few more questions:

REAR conversion:

So far I have: Light-units w/mounting clips and rear control unit. In regards to the bumper-change - can I just bolt on the new bumper cover or do I need to change other parts as well? Are the gen2 bumperettes different from the gen1 (?), are the muffler heat-shields different (?)

If so, a parts list would be very helpful.

Also the mentioned new harness adapters - WHERE can I buy them (part number) ?

FRONT conversion:

Basically the same question - what extra parts are needed besides the obvious bumper cover, the LED-light units + front control module and headlight washer units (997 628 163 01) ?

I believe I also need a new "center duct surround" (997 505 541 03 01c ?), an "air routing" for the rads (997 575 141 04 1c ?). I assume also the spoiler lip is different (?). Do you know what else? Are the side-markers the same?

Last but not least I was searching for wiring information to splice-in the LED combination-lights and so far 997TT_Front_LED_Units.pdfonly came across a wire-diagram somebody had drawn up for a 997TT - wonder if this might be similar for the gen2 C2/C4 ? Attached below!

THANKS again for your help and knowledge - let's get this gen1 > gen2 conversion-info as complete as possible!

ralf

Hi Ralf,

Regarding the rear bumper, I could never get anyone to tell me for sure if the gen2 bumper would mount right up to my gen1 car.

So, to be safe, I removed my TechArt rear bumper and replaced it with a Misha911 2007 GT3 dual exhaust rear bumper made of fiberglass...so that the body shop could fiberglass the brake light openings created by the more sleek shape of the new LED lights. I'm very happy with it...I just wish that PU-RIM bumpers could be easily modifed.

gu10tg_rear.jpg

Good luck!!

Cliff

Thanks for the update, Cliff - car is looking great!

To connect the new taillights, what kind of "harness adapters" did you use and where did you get them?

Has anybody done the front conversion???

Thanks,

ralf

Thank you, Ralf!

Oh, they came with the lights and light control module that I got from here:

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/997G2.html?Category_Code=997S_Lights

The harness adapters are just small plastic plugs...hopefully they'll sell them to you for really cheap.

Take care,

Cliff

Thanks for the update, Cliff - car is looking great!

To connect the new taillights, what kind of "harness adapters" did you use and where did you get them?

Has anybody done the front conversion???

Thanks,

ralf

Thank you, Ralf!

Oh, they came with the lights and light control module that I got from here:

http://www.suncoastp...ode=997S_Lights

The harness adapters are just small plastic plugs...hopefully they'll sell them to you for really cheap.

Take care,

Cliff

Thanks for the tip!

have a great weekend,

ralf