Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Water pump seized up with 33k miles

Well, this is an interesting thing. I was driving on the Freeway in Redwood Shores (CA) and I suddenly heard a faint squealing noise. This made me uneasy and I started to check for problems. I noticed ( within 30 seconds) that the Volt gauge started to go down to about 10 volts and about 30 seconds later I noticed my water temp going up . So it was me!!

I got off the Freeway in Foster City ( 2 miles in total from the time I first heard the noise) and parked asap. By then there was steam coming from under the car and when I got out I saw the coolant pouring from underneath the back of the car. Clearly looked like the waterpump gone bad :cursing: ( squealing noise), coolant pooring out.

Got the car towed into Rector Burlingame and I will see what it all turns out to be tomorrow.

First I was amazed that the pump seized up in a matter of one minute. My experience has been that a waterpump generally provides you with some warning ie squealing for 50-100 miles which gives you the time to get to a garage. Secondly, 33,000 miles is extremely low miles for a water pump to seize.

Any hints, input ? do they have to drop the engine for the repair? Any idea of the cost I can expect to pay for this? Will the new water pump get a life time warranty or 1 yr or what is the general situation??

Appreciate it

HarryR

C2- 1999 - coupe - 3.4l

• Moderators

What did the serpentine belt look like. And there are a few idler pulleys that sometimes go bad. If it is the pump a water pump on any car can go bad. The 996/Boxster pump is unique in that the impeller that moves the coolant is made of plastic and they are know to fail.

On a Boxster the pump can be replaced with the engine in the car. Since I'm a Boxster owner a 996 owner will have to tell you if it is the same with a 996.

You get a 2 year warranty.

Hi,

You'll be pleased to hear that the engine can stay in the car. It is a real fiddle to get the pump out, which also involves removing the rear engine carrier. I guess they'll charge you a good couple of hours of labour for it, plus the 300-400 bucks for the water pump.

Cheers,

Uwe

Edited by umn