Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Retrofit Red Seat Belts?

Hi gang,

I did a search in the archives here for retro-fitting red seat belts and the only hit I could find referenced a thread over on Babblers that was really old. The photos in the post were all little red "X"s.

Anyway, has anyone here actually done this before? If you have any directions/pics, that would really be awesome!

Thanks...

Charles

• Moderators

They were probably my pictures taken at a tech session. If you do a link maybe I can remember what pictures.

You need to remove the carpeted trim panel behinfs the seat that covers the seat belt. Then unbolt the unit. On the roll bar separate the plastic cover and the is a bolt under it. The last bolt is the one one you can see at the end of the bolt, covered by a plastic cap.

It took this pic in June.

Hi gang,

Well obviously it's pretty easy to get to the seat belts to do the conversion. Paying for them, well that's another deal altogether. I looked around and the best price I could find for OEM Seat Belts in Red was $668.46. Wow, I'm not sure that's worth the price of admission.

I did find this site: http://www.peparts.com

They seem to have Porsche seat belts but their web site is looking pretty sad. Makes me wonder if they're still a viable company to work with or not.

Anyone know of another source that might reweb my existing reels?

Thanks!

Charles

Well, the plot thickens as they say. I contacted PEParts today and they're more than happy to reweb my existing reels in red for $90 each. Fair price and I'd be more than willing to go with that.

Unfortunately, in 03 Porsche added pyrotechnic charges to the seat belt reels that fire after the airbag deploys. It cuts the web and although this is a neat feature, it makes rewebbing the reels impossible. PEParts said they could not reweb reels from 03 onwards.

So it looks like this retrofit is off the radar for me.... Bummer.

Charles

Scott,

Feel free to contact PEParts and discuss it with them. 800-593-8787. They explained how the pyro charge works and it cuts the web after the airbags are deployed. There is some delay but that's the function.

Furthermore, the mechanism is tamper proof. It's sealed and PEParts said they could not disassemble it to replace the web. They tried a couple of them already.

Anyway, it looks like my options are rather limited at this point. I thought about ordering a set of inertia reels and belts for an 02 and just disconnecting the pyro wires but I bet that would send some error code to the computer and I'd be staring at an idiot light forever...

Anyone know for sure?