Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Understand Porsche as of a couple of weeks ago has changed the process on importing a vehicle making it more expensive for us Canadians who want to buy from the U.S. Has anyone recently brought a car across the boarder?

About to buy a 2008 Cayenne GTS in the U.S...wanted to see if anyone has experienced this new process and weather it is worth still buying in the U.S.

Hear there is an additonal $1250 inspection fee that is now done at the Porsche dealership once the vehicle crosses the boarder - and if anything fails, warranty doesn't carry over - seems abit unrealistic...we are at the mercy of the dealership who can be real assho*** knowing that the vehicle is from the U.S.

Has anyone recently experienced the shipment of a porsche vehicle across the boarder?

Cheers,

B

Understand Porsche as of a couple of weeks ago has changed the process on importing a vehicle making it more expensive for us Canadians who want to buy from the U.S. Has anyone recently brought a car across the boarder?

About to buy a 2008 Cayenne GTS in the U.S...wanted to see if anyone has experienced this new process and weather it is worth still buying in the U.S.

Hear there is an additonal $1250 inspection fee that is now done at the Porsche dealership once the vehicle crosses the boarder - and if anything fails, warranty doesn't carry over - seems abit unrealistic...we are at the mercy of the dealership who can be real assho*** knowing that the vehicle is from the U.S.

Has anyone recently experienced the shipment of a porsche vehicle across the boarder?

Cheers,

B

go to "search" put canada and import. press "go"

i imported my car last year. the inspection fee was 250 and that allowed me to transfer the CPO warranty

that is a crazy markup on the inspection fee but well worth it if the warranty transfers. i still think you would be saving big $$ buying from US again, especially with the strenghening of the CDN$ and over supply of cayennes.

i dont see why they would do an inspection if the warranty does not transfer??? that is the whole point of the inspection

you also have to get your vehicle inspected at Canadian tire but that price is included in the RIV fee

matt

I spoke with PCNA and the Canadian "Registrar of Imported Vehicles " or RIV just yesterday over the same issue. Let me tell you what I know, but you will want to call and do your own homework.

The issue seems to be that the RIV needs an official letter or statement from a Porsche dealer or PCNA indicating there are no outstanding recalls on the vehicle being imported. This is called a called a "recall clearance letter". PCNA will not give out these letters, unless the car crosses into Canada, and you pay a dealer there to "inspect" the car and provide a "letter of clearance". RIV says they do not need a "letter of clearance". Rather, the RIV website www.riv.ca indicates which Porsches are already cleared to go into Canada. However, you still need a statement indicating there are no recalls. RIV suggests you go to a dealer (it can be the dealer you are purchasing from), and ask their service manager to print out a copy of the "job management" from their computer. This will identify your vehicle by VIN, and indicate any recalls. This will save you money (no need for the Canadian dealer to inspect) and time.

I did not ask about the warranty, but I understand the manufacturer's warranty should be North America wide, no matter how you get the vehicle across the border, with or without PCNA's help. I do not think a US CPO is valid in Canada, however.

you definitely need a recall letter to clear the car with RIV

i was able to phone Porsche NA and got a copy in the process of purchasing the vehicle (may-08). last year Porsche did not charge for this but other dealers (BMW/mercedes) charged a hefty fee for this letter. this might have changed...?? if anyone knows chime in...

that is all you need to do to get the vehicle into Canada and registered

as for warranty. my dealer "required" an inspection to validate the warranty. i argued with them that it was NA american warranty and it was BS. ended up paying the $270 . their argument was to test the whether the vehicle was overreved in certain gears etc. and if it was void the warranty on that gear etc.

• 1 year later...

My apologies for digging up this thread from the dead, but I wanted to see if anyone has any experience importing a Cayenne recently (as in the last 6 months) from the US to Canada and if it is still worth it.

I am planning on importing a 2011 Cayenne (hopefully I can find one that is a year old) in Sept/Oct time frame. Looking at prices of 2008's on autotrader.com and comparing that to the same model in Canada, there is a difference of about $5K. Is it worth it getting the truck from the US rather than buying it here?

Is it better to instead get a year old 2011 later this year mainly because of the much improved vehicle and significant $ difference between a Canadian vehicle vs. US?

Does that difference become negligible when you factor in the 6% import tax?