Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Manual transmission oil level

I have recently changed my 01 Boxster's manual transmission oil with Amsoil 75/90, and now I am experiencing some difficulty shifting until the car warms up. It takes a bit more effort now to get the car into 1st and 2nd gear until it warms up, and then it seems fine. Before I changed the oil, it had no problems. I probably should have left it alone.

I knew about the 11mm from the edge level, but I don't know if I was perfect. The car may not have been perfectly level, and so I'm afraid that I have too much in there. I did spill some oil during the procedure so I can't really guage how much from what is left in the bottles either.

Am I damaging the tranny by leaving it alone if it is indeed over filled? I am considering re-checking my work now all over again and draining some oil if the level is too high. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I have recently changed my 01 Boxster's manual transmission oil with Amsoil 75/90, and now I am experiencing some difficulty shifting until the car warms up. It takes a bit more effort now to get the car into 1st and 2nd gear until it warms up, and then it seems fine. Before I changed the oil, it had no problems. I probably should have left it alone.

I knew about the 11mm from the edge level, but I don't know if I was perfect. The car may not have been perfectly level, and so I'm afraid that I have too much in there. I did spill some oil during the procedure so I can't really guage how much from what is left in the bottles either.

Am I damaging the tranny by leaving it alone if it is indeed over filled? I am considering re-checking my work now all over again and draining some oil if the level is too high. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I would check the level. But I will also tell you that after I changed mine (Mobil 1 Delvac 75/90) that it was a little harder to shift for a short period too until warm. After a couple of track events, it stopped being difficult. So, while I would check the level, because you don't want to foam the fluid, I don't think it is uncommon to have harder shifts until the fluid wears a little bit.

I think Amsoil has that reputation (here come the reps). I wouldn't worry about the level of the gear oil cause I don't know who the ___ could fill it exactly to 11mm below. There'd be a lot of gear grinding around events if it mattered.

The most clever way I have heard of though, is do some algebra and measurements, and figure out the angel you need to to tilt the car so the oil would start spilling out if it were 111mm down when level. Than you take the plug out and lift one side with jack to the right angle. let it spill or, fill.

Regards, PK

I replaced mine with Mobil 1 synthetic when I had the tranny out to replace my RMS and clutch in March 08. Easy to tell where 11mm is when the tranny is out on the jack. In May 08 I replace my shifter to the eBay short throw and it shifts extremely smooth.

If you stick your little finger in the filler hole you can feel a "Ridge". That Ridge is 11 mm below the filler hole...

Try Silkoline real slick!

:renntech:

I replaced mine with Mobil 1 synthetic when I had the tranny out to replace my RMS and clutch in March 08. Easy to tell where 11mm is when the tranny is out on the jack. In May 08 I replace my shifter to the eBay short throw and it shifts extremely smooth.

Huh,

Fumy thing, I tried something like that, figured I'd just stick my finger in and down, pull it out and measure the oil on my finger. Problem i had was once my finger was in those tight confines, it had oil all over it and, everything in there was the same temp so I couldn't even tell if my fingertip was in the oil or not.

My manual though went into great detail as to how to modify an allen wrench, of some exact size, by grinding a little notch exactly 11mm down the short side. Then, with surgical precison, you presumably stick it in through the hole and lower it into the abyss. As I recall. the abyse was had a front back wall/baffle about 15mm apart, Hit just one, front or back, and you've just got oil allover you ridicules little dip stick. Start allover.

I would love an explanation what is so critical about the 11mm (not 10, not 12, 11). It's obvious they designed and built the case with the fill hole 11mm higher than they would have liked but, gosh, a simple little down and dirty "fill it till it spills" turns into major surgical proposition.

Regards PK

Huh,

Fumy thing, I tried something like that, figured I'd just stick my finger in and down, pull it out and measure the oil on my finger. Problem i had was once my finger was in those tight confines, it had oil all over it and, everything in there was the same temp so I couldn't even tell if my fingertip was in the oil or not.

My manual though went into great detail as to how to modify an allen wrench, of some exact size, by grinding a little notch exactly 11mm down the short side. Then, with surgical precison, you presumably stick it in through the hole and lower it into the abyss. As I recall. the abyse was had a front back wall/baffle about 15mm apart, Hit just one, front or back, and you've just got oil allover you ridicules little dip stick. Start allover.

I would love an explanation what is so critical about the 11mm (not 10, not 12, 11). It's obvious they designed and built the case with the fill hole 11mm higher than they would have liked but, gosh, a simple little down and dirty "fill it till it spills" turns into major surgical proposition.

Regards PK

It is really hard to get an accurate measurement, but I am temped to try again and really pay super attention this time around. I don't think Amsoil could be the one to blame. If I do decide to drain a bit out assuming I've over filled and it shifts better when cold, I will make a big announcement. I'll bet there's a ton of Boxsters out there that have had the oil level right up to where it comes out of the fill hole.

I'm wondering if the the difference in weight of oil between 11mm below and to the top of the fill hole, plays a role. Too much and gizmos don't glide as freely?? or move easily enough??

Geoff

Geoff,

You know I'm probably the in worst person to comment about what are to me, degrees of niceties. I lost the 1st 2nd and 3rd sychros a year or 2 ago, all within a week. (30k go figure). However I was pretty versed in double clutching and I adapted pretty quick. It wasn't long before I got completely complacent and the trans began slipping down my "to-do" list. It's down around #57 now. (#1 is "put laundry in dryer"... if your were interested.)

But, enough about me. Have you done good search on the subject here (and the other forums)? I've heard lot gripes about cold operations with third party gear oils. If I remember correctly, it almost always winds up just being the wrong weight. I'm thinking as Im writing and the heavy gear thing, that's been true for eons when the oil is to heavy. In-fact, I remember my dad telling me about used car dealers wat back when, routinely using heavy weight gear oil tighten up sloppy transmission (heavy oil, oatmeal, bananas or all three were also used...not kidding).

But back to this century and your car, If you put a heavy oil in a sloppy transmission and it tightens it up, stands to reason if you put to heavy oil in a tight trans., it going to make it way to tighten it up allright, give a siezure. I am almost possessive I heard someone with same complaint about the same oil , same car, and the problem was the wrong weight gear oil.

But, as to your other theroy, the 11mm level thing, I really just don't under stand it and I was hoping one of the brighter bulbs around here would pop in and and enlighten us all. But gut feeling is, if you toy with it, I can't see a problem if your off...even a-lot. In fact maybe that would be good, just cut to the chase. Fill it or drain it by a significant amount and drive it just far enough to see if it made a diff. If it did, I'd start filling it (or draining it) in steps till it starts getting sticky again, then just back off. That is, drain or fill, till it working wel again.

Just had a brainstorm on the measurement thing,It just might work to. Think of a floating buoy rising with (and on) the tide.

Not spacey like it sounds... gotta go

Regards, PK