Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Car wash, another reason not too...

"Ouch! Took my '99 Boxster 2.5 (40k) through a touch-free car wash this morning. The car was running perfectly (and always has). This is the kind of wash that hoses your car down with high pressure soap and water. While in the wash I heard a horrible mechanical sound and my engine seized.:eek: I think the high pressure water got forced into the air intake and into the cylindars. The car wash is only a block from my house, so the car wasn't even up to operating temp yet.

I had the car towed to my mechanic. His preliminary diagnosis is water in the cylindars, but he won't know for sure until next week.

Has anyone heard of this happening before? I'm looking at needing a new motor. Obviously, I'd like to have the car wash pay.

As for new motors, can I replace with a more powerful one? What are my options?

Thanks."

:oops:

http://forums1.roadfly.org/porsche/forums/.../5684118-1.html

• Moderators

If that owner got into the desnork fad then I would have very little sympathy. I warn people that will increase the chance of water being sucked up into the engine.

Porsche has changed the design of the air tube (the snork) twice in an effort to reduce the chance of water being sucked into the engine. Then Porsche raised the side intake vent housing in 2000 so that it would not be flush with the body to further reduce water from being injested. Then for 2003 Porsche blocked off the lower vents on the intake. And then what do people caught up in a fad do?

Chris was a mechanic at my local dealer. Several years ago he told me about a customer car that came in after going through a car wash. One of the water jets must have been spraying directly into the intake vent, which filled the air box with water. Car came out of the car wash and customer started the car and it ran bad and had a check engine light. The air box has a drain at the bottom but it is a very small drain and the air box can hold a lot of water. Water was sucked into the engine when started but not enough to hydro lock it and break the engine. This car still had the air tube.