Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

rain sensor with variable wiper or replacing it?

I am looking at retrofitting a rain sensor, and/or a variable speed wiper. I have a few questions I was hoping someone could give some pointers on please:

1. Does the rain sensor allow the wiper's speed to change depending on the size of the downpour?

2. I understand the variable speed wiper relay is replaced by the rain sensor kit wiper relay. If I have it connected up, would the variable wiper potentiometer on the dash still somehow function in this setup?

3. The harness from the rain sensor to the relay only contains three wires, is this correct? If so, it would seem that two of them would be ground and 12V, the other one would be the variable output - going to the relay to do its magic. Is this a correct assumption? Anyone measured/know for sure? This would then give the possibility for using just an aftermarket rain sensor (less than <$100) and maybe use the variable wiper relay instead? i.e: essentially replacing the variable relay input from the dash potentiometer with the rain sensor? Doable?

Another reason I am thinking about the aftermarket rain sensor setup is this particular one I am looking at also gives a headlight trigger when dark.

Edited by Jinster

As background, I have been on a similar quest for quite some time so here is what I have researched/know. The Tequipment kit has two differant relays that the rain sensor plugs into. In the early version (no longer available) the relay is adjustable with an adjustment screw at the relay itself to vary the speed. The latter relay has one speed only & is not adjustable even though both versions have the same part number. In neither case does the variable dash switch operate even though the TSB states that it will. There has been a number of comments on the confusion within the TSB related to the Tequipment option but if you check the TSB (search rain sensor)on this site it will give you further info as well as the wiring connections requested. In the factory OEM M265 option which includes both the interior/exterior mirrors & integrated rain sensor the dash variable switch is a differant part number 99661312710a05 than the stock unit & has four connectors rather than two presumably to connect to the additional control unit for the sensor as well as for a differant relay from cars that do not have the M265 option. It does fully control the variable wiper speed. I have a new NOS early Tequipment kit with the adjustable relay that I purchased prior to attempting to do the full M265 option. At the moment I need the 10 pin harness that goes from the dome light to the various parts ie control unit, dash switch, relay, door mirror etc. to complete my install so I was waiting to sell this NOS Tequipment sensor but if you are interested PM me. Regards cmg

I am looking at retrofitting a rain sensor, and/or a variable speed wiper. I have a few questions I was hoping someone could give some pointers on please:

1. Does the rain sensor allow the wiper's speed to change depending on the size of the downpour?

2. I understand the variable speed wiper relay is replaced by the rain sensor kit wiper relay. If I have it connected up, would the variable wiper potentiometer on the dash still somehow function in this setup?

3. The harness from the rain sensor to the relay only contains three wires, is this correct? If so, it would seem that two of them would be ground and 12V, the other one would be the variable output - going to the relay to do its magic. Is this a correct assumption? Anyone measured/know for sure? This would then give the possibility for using just an aftermarket rain sensor (less than <$100) and maybe use the variable wiper relay instead? i.e: essentially replacing the variable relay input from the dash potentiometer with the rain sensor? Doable?

Another reason I am thinking about the aftermarket rain sensor setup is this particular one I am looking at also gives a headlight trigger when dark.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the info, mate. I am in the great down under so postage becomes prohibitive for most things I buy from the US.

I was actually looking at something like this:

www.raintracker.com

I am installing a double DIN GPS and a head-up-display at the moment. The raintrackers are sold out at this moment anyway.

I fitted one of the later Tequipment retrofit kits to my '98 C2. The kit is made by http://www.xanonex.de/ (Porsche didn't even put it in their own box) so you might be able to find an Australian distributor for them. I know some people who have bought them direct from Xanonex, considerably cheaper than from Porsche. It was a very simple install, but as has been said, the wiper speed is not varied, and the existing delay potentiometer becomes redundant. A worthwhile addition IMO, and I'll get round to fitting one on my TT one day.