Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Yes another PSE question.

First off I like to say that Renntech is simply the best!

I have been lurking here on and off for the pass few months and I can honestly say that every time

I came across a problem with my car I am always able to find some sort of solution from this forum.

:renntech:

Back to my problem; I know from previous threads that the PSE can be disabled and the loud mode be

left on at all times. Some members have even post photos showing which plug to pull. My problem is that

I have the Powerkit Carrera S fitted in my C4S so it looks a little different from the photos shown. Can anyone

tell me where this connector may be in a car with the powerkit? Any help on this is much appreciated.

:cheers:

Marc

Marc,

If you post a picture of your engine bay perhaps one of us can identify the right connector.

Hi phillipj,

What do you think?

post-46810-1255665378_thumb.jpg

I also looked around and nothing really resembles that brown little connector that was shown.

But it was kinda dark at the time so....

Any help is much appreciated.

Marc

Regardless of the powerkit the solenoid which is a grey item is on the right hand side of the engine and has a small black air line taken from between the manifold on the right hand bank of cylinders. I made up a simple "plug and play" kit that allows you to run a cable back inside the car to activate the PSE via its own switch. This is independent of the 20-40 mph cut out , so the PSE can remain active at all speeds. The simplest location for the switch is either in the ashtray or under the handbrake lever.

The picture below is of a gen 2 997 but the solenoid looks the same. In the picture you posted I'd suspect the solenoid is obscured by the vertical protrusion of the air box on the right hand side

post-12897-1255678601_thumb.jpg

Edited by berty987

Regardless of the powerkit the solenoid which is a grey item is on the right hand side of the engine and has a small black air line taken from between the manifold on the right hand bank of cylinders. I made up a simple "plug and play" kit that allows you to run a cable back inside the car to activate the PSE via its own switch. This is independent of the 20-40 mph cut out , so the PSE can remain active at all speeds. The simplest location for the switch is either in the ashtray or under the handbrake lever.

The picture below is of a gen 2 997 but the solenoid looks the same. In the picture you posted I'd suspect the solenoid is obscured by the vertical protrusion of the air box on the right hand side

Thanks berty987,

For some reason I thought I was looking for a brown connector... :unsure:

I will have a look and see if the air duct is blocking it. If it is there can I just pull it to disable it?

One more thing, PSE does not switch off at 20-40mph for me. When its on its on and when its off, its just off.

But I guess that really makes no difference right?

Sorry to be a pain but I looked and I looked and I really couldn't find a grey connector like the one in your picture.

I took a few pictures of the area behind the right air box the best I can (you know how spacious the engine compartment of our car is)

and I hope you or someone can make some sense out of it. Please :help: !!

Marc

post-46810-1255960491_thumb.jpg post-46810-1255960561_thumb.jpg post-46810-1255960579_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to be a pain but I looked and I looked and I really couldn't find a grey connector like the one in your picture.

I took a few pictures of the area behind the right air box the best I can (you know how spacious the engine compartment of our car is)

and I hope you or someone can make some sense out of it. Please :help: !!

Marc

post-46810-1255960491_thumb.jpg post-46810-1255960561_thumb.jpg post-46810-1255960579_thumb.jpg

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/997-...-a-997-a-2.html

check out post #22... its in a different location. who knew!?!? :)

Well I’ve had it off for a few days now and it does sound pretty good on all the time.

But now that it’s on all the time it subconsciously makes me adopt a more aggressive

driving style more offend than before. It just doesn’t feel right when I hear it roaring

behind me but yet I'm going nowhere! Does anyone have that same feeling?

Obviously I do it sometime just to hear the engine on the up shifts and down shifts

which always brings a smile to my face. :)

Marc

• 2 weeks later...

That’s it, I’ve plugged the connector back in today.

Some will probably disagree but I think Porsche made the activation of PSE upon selection of the sport mode

for a reason and I’m beginning to see why. With PSE on while not in sport mode it just does not sound as

impressive as it should. Sometimes I even find that it's missing a beat or two, especially when picking up speed quickly.

I think this has something to do with the sensitivity of the gas pedal and the set up of the car while in sport mode.

Either that or I’m just getting old… :unsure:

Marc

I don't think this is actually the case Marc, the PSE can be specced without sport chrono , so its possible to drive without the sharper throttle response but with PSE active. Having the facility to engage PSE without sport mode is more beneficial if you find the jerky response unsiutable for town driving but still want the PSE sound. This is one of the benfits of fitting aseparate control switch for the PSE as i did.

That’s it, I’ve plugged the connector back in today.

Some will probably disagree but I think Porsche made the activation of PSE upon selection of the sport mode

for a reason and I’m beginning to see why. With PSE on while not in sport mode it just does not sound as

impressive as it should. Sometimes I even find that it's missing a beat or two, especially when picking up speed quickly.

I think this has something to do with the sensitivity of the gas pedal and the set up of the car while in sport mode.

Either that or I’m just getting old… :unsure:

Marc

On my car it has a lot to do with the muffler in the airbox. I hate that thing. I know Porsche did it to comply with Euro sound requirements but... It's dissapointing that just when the engine starts to scream the sound just goes away.. :o I'm going to take care of that soon.. B)

Edited by phillipj

I don't think this is actually the case Marc, the PSE can be specced without sport chrono , so its possible to drive without the sharper throttle response but with PSE active. Having the facility to engage PSE without sport mode is more beneficial if you find the jerky response unsiutable for town driving but still want the PSE sound. This is one of the benfits of fitting aseparate control switch for the PSE as i did.

I know you can order PSE with or without sport chrono. I guess what I was saying is that maybe I've been driving it normally without PSE

for so long and now with PSE on all the time I automatically associate it with the sport mode on. So I drive it as if sport mode is on and yet

it does not give me the same responsiveness. That’s the reason I plugged it back in. That said, I am now thinking of pulling it again because

I kinda miss it just a tiny little bit. I know I know...make up your mind :rolleyes:

So I guess I’ll have to learn to disassociate PSE with sport mode and then I guess I’ll be fine. But I do agree, having a switch that turns PSE

on/off is the ideal solution. :thumbup:

Marc

On my car it has a lot to do with the muffler in the airbox. I hate that thing. I know Porsche did it to comply with Euro sound requirements but... It's dissapointing that just when the engine starts to scream the sound just goes away.. :o I'm going to take care of that soon.. B)

What muffler in the airbox? My car doesn't do that, it just keeps screaming until I get scared! :drive:

Marc