Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Broken Oil Dip Stick Hose

Hi everyone,

I replaced my starter for my 99 boxster yesterday via the instructions of the thread below.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...amp;#entry33634

The replacement is to fix the high-pitch-grinding noise at startup. The new starter is in place and ready to go. Unfortunately, in the process, I broke the oil dip stick hose (as warned by scherb in that thread :[ ). My question is if I need to replace hose? Or can I use epoxy to glue it back in? Would epoxy be able to withstand the heat and vibration? Or maybe use some kind of pipe fitting to connect to broken hose together?

BTW, I have not started my car to see if the high-pitch-grinding noise if fixed or not. :(

Any input would be must appreciated.

Thanks,

tomas

You wom''t hold it togeter wirh a dab of epoxy. You might epoxy a "sleve" around it. That is, find some hose a couple inches long into which the dipstick pipe slides into fairly snug. Coat both ends of the pipe with a flexible epoxy. Slide the pipes into opposite ends of the hose...mayebe bpt some zip ties on it..

PK

Well, the epoxy and tube is holding. Will check periodically/weekly to make sure it is still OK.

BTW, the new starter fixes the high-pitch-grinding noise at startup. YES!

Place some screw clamps around both ends.

Well, the epoxy and tube is holding. Will check periodically/weekly to make sure it is still OK.

BTW, the new starter fixes the high-pitch-grinding noise at startup. YES!

Place some screw clamps around both ends.

I broke the dipstick tube on mine last year. About $30 from Sunset and less trouble to replace than epoxying sleeves etc.

Hey, the guy asked for an alternative. Besides, I'd be done and off driving, scaring small animals, while you were rolling out your floor jack....after waiting for 3 days, nose pressed against the the picture window, waiting for the mail man. (grin)

PK

Didn't someone accidentally start his car on fire with a broken dip stick tube? Not sure if I read it on this forum or another.

I doubt it (unless he tried really hard... just being a moron doesn't qualify) . Oil is really hard to start on fire, even when it oozes directly on to the hottest part of your engine, the exhaust manifold. What's in the dipstick tube is oil fumes, just what's steaming around in your crank case,

Not sure I'd risk that failure for a mere $30 part.

Yes, stick with the genuine proven goods.

Regards, PK