Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Hi all,

I added a 2004 S to my Porsche stable two weeks ago. It is in pristine shape with relatively low mileage. Right now the car has no issues, but I knew going into this that I would have a few things that would need to be taken care of. First the coolant pipes, and possibly the cardan shaft issue if necessary......

I am preparing to change the coolant pipes in the next few weeks, and I'm in the process of sourcing the necessary parts. If anyone has any suggestions for a parts supply please let me know....Price is one factor, but also availability is important too as a few places have certain parts on back order.....I'm in Montreal Canada and the local Porsche Dealer wants about 4 times the retail price at a dealer in the US so I'm looking elsewhere....

I have a few questions after reading some of the write ups on the forums:

1 - The upper pipes are supported at the rear by an upper and lower bracket assembly. Is this the original part or do I need a new assembly? These are items 16 and 17 on PET Illustration 105-05....

2 - Does the thermostat housing have to come off to get access to install the lower pipe, and having said that, does it have to come off to install the upper pipe assembly?? It would seem that taking it off would provide better access for the lower pipe removal and assembly but I want to be sure.

3 - Do most people change the thermostat when they do this job? It would seem like added insurance but again, I just want to be sure....Right now the car doesn't exhibit any overheating tendencies........

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

Bob

"Porsche Parts at Dealer Cost-Sunset Imports" at the top of the page would be the best place that I know of. I don't change the thermostat when install the update kit.

Thanks wvicary, I have sent in a request to Sunset....

Do you know if the existing brackets on the upper pipes needs to be changed??

Bob

I'm not sure what brackets you're referring to. There is complete kit to install when replacing the coolant pipes that includes several pipes,plastic lines and a few bolts. Do a search on here and you'll find a thread complete with pics that should answer all your questions. It's a straight foreword job, just take your time and you shouldn't have any problems.

I'm not sure what brackets you're referring to. There is complete kit to install when replacing the coolant pipes that includes several pipes,plastic lines and a few bolts. Do a search on here and you'll find a thread complete with pics that should answer all your questions. It's a straight foreword job, just take your time and you shouldn't have any problems.

Thanks, I've been through them several times and they are excellent......

The brackets are shown in the service letter 45/07. I just wasn't sure if they are different than the original parts. In any case they are not expensive so I'll order them up.....

I'm still waiting for the shop manual for this so I'm sure when I get that it will answer the questions......What the service letter doesn't mention is the gasket and the sealing ring for the thermostat housing which leads me to believe it doesn't have to be removed.....Having said that though, I would think it would make access to the lower to removal and assembly a bit easier IMHO...

By the way, as far as the local Porsche dealer is concerned there is not kit per se....all parts have to ordered separately, so I just want to make sure I have everything before I rip into this......