Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Help me value this 2001 Carrera 4...mileage fishy?

I'm looking at an '01 Carrera 4 Cab w/Tip on a Caddie dealer's lot. No service records. The odo says 23K miles and the CarFax history showed 21K in 08 and nothing with mileage data before that. I have some concern because of wear of "soft" parts. I think it has an aftermarket replacement soft top. The driver's seat leather looks like my Audi's with 90K. The rear window is opaque, and the big oval panel on the dash top is curly from sun exposure. I think that can be replaced. But these things could be because it wasn't garage-kept. The body is clean (color: silver). It drove beautifully. Engine and Tip trans were very crisp and it sounded great. Seat of the pants when driving says the odometer is right, visible wear says not. Is there any way to know if the mileage has been altered? If I decide to proceed, I'll get an inspection. Dealer asking $32.5K. I'm thinking mid-20s. I'm in So. California but not the LA area.

Edited by DWPC

During a PPI, while the PST2 / PIWIS is hooked up to the car, have the technician read off the operating time - a value in hours. Then multiply the operating time by 32 - 33 MPH (average speed) and the result should be in the neighborhood of the indicated milage. For a car with 23,000 miles indicated, 690-700 operating hours would be the value I would expect to see. Of course, there is a situation that would invalidate this check....the time / distance evaluation is only valid if the DME is the original DME.

Any PPI offered / done that does not include an interrogation of information stored in the DME would in my estimation be incomplete. Beside operating hours, the DME records stage 1 and stage 2 "ignitions". Stage 1 ignitions are an indication of the frequency of the rev limiter automatically keeping the engine from exceeding the red line. Stage 2 ignitions are an indication of the frequency of actual over speeding of the engine....generally by missing a shift. Being a Tiptronic equipped car,

I would not expect to see any staage 2 ignitions. But, if you are looking to develop a "feel" for the usage of the car, the number of stage 1 ignitions could be a indicator of the driving enthusiam the car was subjected to.

Lastly, as many RennTech members opine, there are many, many Carreras available at very reasonable prices....many with complete maintenance records. Don't rush into any "deal".

Bill

I'm looking at an '01 Carrera 4 Cab w/Tip on a Caddie dealer's lot. No service records. The odo says 23K miles and the CarFax history showed 21K in 08 and nothing with mileage data before that. I have some concern because of wear of "soft" parts. I think it has an aftermarket replacement soft top. The driver's seat leather looks like my Audi's with 90K. The rear window is opaque, and the big oval panel on the dash top is curly from sun exposure. I think that can be replaced. But these things could be because it wasn't garage-kept. The body is clean (color: silver). It drove beautifully. Engine and Tip trans were very crisp and it sounded great. Seat of the pants when driving says the odometer is right, visible wear says not. Is there any way to know if the mileage has been altered? If I decide to proceed, I'll get an inspection. Dealer asking $32.5K. I'm thinking mid-20s. I'm in So. California but not the LA area.

As one approach, check the DOT manufacturing date. If the tires are the original after only 23K, they should have a 00 or 01 DOT date on the tires. Of course the tires may have been changed for any number of reasons, but this can give you a clue to start looking for other clues. I bought an 01 996 about six month ago with 22k, but it is not a cab. Some of the more costly options determine price as well. Type of sound system, 19 inch wheels, PSM, litronic headlights, navigation, etc. The car is amazing and I wish you luck in determining the mileage.

I would pass on this car and look for another one. There are so many cars like this one on the market and in my opinion offering mid-$20Ks for this car is to much .

Just want to share with you that I bought my 2000 C2, Cab, 6speed, 54K miles, like new conditions with brand new engine and clutch (installed by Russnak) at 47k miles in Nov 2008 for $24K.

Keep looking....good luck!

Nghia

I would pass on this car and look for another one. There are so many cars like this one on the market and in my opinion offering mid-$20Ks for this car is to much .

Just want to share with you that I bought my 2000 C2, Cab, 6speed, 54K miles, like new conditions with brand new engine and clutch (installed by Russnak) at 47k miles in Nov 2008 for $24K.

Keep looking....good luck!

Nghia

I've been looking for about three month but the 50-mile+ run to LA to check cars out is getting old; I live in Ventura, a veritable Porsche desert. I can go days not even seeing a Porsche on the road. I don't know why they're so scarce around here.