Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

fiber optic cable "one way" ?

2003 996C4S

CDR 23

Bose

CD changer

No PCM

Here is the question, followed by the detail -

Do the individual fiber optic cables (2 of them) that run from the head unit to the amp and CD changer , transmit only one way?

Here is the detail -

My CDR 23 quit working. It would cycle on, then off, continuously (no matter what weather conditions). I pulled the head unit, the fuse was fine, as was the fuse in the main panel. I checked all the connections on the back and on the amp and CD changer too.

Durametric pointed to a faulty receiver, so I sent the head unit and the amp to becker auto sound for a bench test. They called yesterday and told me the amp and receiver work fine and they suspect the issue is in the fiber optic cable.

So to test, I did the following, and found the following -

With a light source on the cable where it connects to the head unit in the car, I can see light from ONE of the cables where it connects to the amp and same for where it connects to the CD changer.

With the light source on the end that connects to the amp, I can see light from ONE of the cables where it connects to the head unit. Same with the CD changer.

Now, there is a connector in the front trunk before the cable splits to go to the CD changer and amp. If I disconnect that connector, so I am only testing a fairly short piece that goes from the head unit into the front trunk, BOTH cables light up from the head unit to the connector, and back the other way.

Follow?

I'm trying to figure out if the behavior of the short cable is normal and if the behavior of the cable from the connector that splits and goes to amp and CD changer is normal.

Thanks.