Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Clutch replacement

I'm having my RMS fixed in the spring. Please see other thread. The tech at the Porsche dealer that was installing my new tires mentioned that my clutch was engaging high at the end of pedal movement and that when I did the RMS I should replace the clutch. It doesn't chatter, never slips, and no throwout bearing noise with smooth, easy pedal movement. It's an 02 C2 cab with 23K miles.

Does the clutch pedal engaging near end of travel indicate the need for a new clutch?

Thanks for you input.

J, it's a great idea to have the clutch serviced with the RMS since they have to drop the trans assem to get at the RMS bearing. Couple of questions...are you having any of the unfortunate tell tale signs of a RMS failure i.e. CEL, oil drips from the area, engine power issues etc etc? If not then other than for piece of mind would you opt for this service. Our 98 986 has 90k everyday miles on it with the original RMS and clutch and it runs and drives as it should. The clutch engages now about mid point and like yours shifts and drives perfectly. At 23k miles if they are original to the clutch I would think (if it's driven normally and not like a race car) that the clutch should be ok. Double check the RMS and the clutch suggestion before you spend allot of $$$. If indeed you do have the RMS going then it would be prudent to at least make sure that the clutch needs to be serviced since it will all be apart anyway. I hope neither is the case for your car.

Best of luck

m2

Does the clutch pedal engaging near end of travel indicate the need for a new clutch?

Generally, yes.

Often what happens, subtly over time, an owner may adjust his/her clutch technique as the plate slowly degrades. A clutch that may seem fine to an owner can be clearly near its end to a tech.

Now, that is not to say that the opinion is not self-serving... this is when having a mechanic that you trust really comes in handy.

And having the clutch and DMF replaced when doing an RMS repair is a no-brainer.

My research on the subject say that while you're in doing an RMS fix, the generally accepted practice is to go ahead and "at least" do the clutch. Many have stated that the IMS should also be done concurrently, but, I am sure that there are SEVERAL schools of thought on that.

If it were me, I would do all three. ...my two cents.

Once the tranny is out, they can check how much wear there is on the clutch plate. Have them measure it and then decide. My clutch is still the original at 108k.

I think I will fix the RMS leak as it is for sure leaking slightly and while they are in there have them analyze the condition of the clutch and IMS rather than just blindly ordering up all 3 just because the tranny is down. I am usually an advocate of "if it's not broke don't fix it school" but with the IMS seal this could go from not broke to destroying the engine.

In the meantime, I'll keep lurking and posting on the various forums until around mid to late April when the car comes out of storage and it will be time to schedule an appointment for service.

Thanks everybody for your input.