Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

New Boxster. Need Some Advice Pls

Hello all,

I live in Canada and I am looking at purchasing a 2000 boxster s with 30 k miles on the clock. The car itself is in a good mechanical shape. Rear tires will soon need replacing but otherwise the car is in a tip top shape. While at the garage, I had a look underneath the car the check for any oil leaks. All of this is happening at a Honda dealer where I am buying the car from. There is a small vapor of oil right in the middle of the car. The car has stood still for about 6 months now but had a routine (MAJOR) service done September 2009. Should I be really concerned about RMS and intermediate shaft or not. I am just looking for some honest advice as i am both thrilled and excited to own a prosche. Like I said no dripping, just a mist of oil around that part of the car. I am getting a second opinion from a porsche mechanic at Regal Tuning in Calgary but in the meanwhile just looking for some advice.

Cheers,

Gulfstorm.

You're doing the right thing to get another opinion but even that can be inconclusive. I took my '99 Boxster to an independent shop after driving it for a couple of weeks to get a service done. The mechanic pointed out to me that a small drop of oil was on the bottom of the motor by the trans and made it sound as though something dire was going to happen unless I replaced the RMS. The cost was $1,900 to do the job (I've got a Tiptronic involving more labor). I decided to wait and drove the car for almost a year and decided to replace the RMS and the IMS with the new LN Engineering ceramic bearing and accepted a bid from another shop to do the job. I stayed and did a video of the procedure and when the trans was removed neither the RMS or IMS has any leaks. Since the OEM RMS was the old style and the trans was off I went ahead and replaced both. Where the drop of oil came from is anybodies guess but I relay this to you to indicate that a little oil on the bottom of the motor is not always an indication of a dire problem.