Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Considering a 928S purchase

waelwell

I already own an '89 944S2 and an '01 911 C4 cabriolet. I'm a PCA member and am at least a little familiar with Porsches. I've always had a soft spot in my heart for the 928. Don't know why.

For the past couple days I've been driving an '85 928S. It's for sale. Not a bad car. It's got 140K miles (at least until the speedo broke but the info from the last oil change suggests that it broke very recently). Cosmetically it's in good shape - just good, not great. It's worn but there are no major cosmetic flaws that jump out at you. The engine runs a bit rich but seems to work well otherwise. All the systems appear to work except for maybe the windshield washer pump.

Here's by beef. My 944 is of the same vintage as this 928 but the two cars couldn't be more different. Compared to my 944 the steering on the 928 is very heavy, the brakes don't seem as powerful, the clutch is heavy as hell, the shift pattern is quirky, everything about the car feels heavy and the car just doesn't seem anywhere near as tight as the 944 is.

Is this normal for the 928 family or is this car just an overly worn example?

I can pick it up for ~$7,500. I know you folks don't have much to go on but I'd appreciate any thoughts you might have about the potential of this purchase.

Thanks

Bill

post-44226-0-27402500-1288848663_thumb.j

The brakes on the 928 are very good as is the shifter. It could be a neglected vehicle and the repair/maintenance of the 928 is out of this world. I'm not familiar with current prices anymore but would think you could pick up a very clean example for that price not a fixer upper.

I think that's a bit steep. I had one ages ago. I don,t recall anything remarkable about steering or braking. I seem to recall the shift linkag needing attention. I think you may have sick baby on your

Hands, pk

Sent from my Milestone using Tapatalk

I owned a 1983 928 with auto trans. The steering and brakes were not "heavy" at all. The car drove and handled well. Had some problems with electrics, radio, air cond. fuses, etc. Pass on the one your looking at and go shopping.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys. I passed on the car. I did a little research and you're right. The economics of this car don't make sense.

However, I will say that getting a clean 928S4 with mileage below 100K seems to cost between $15K and $20K. Assuming that we are, in fact, talking about a clean low mileage car, do you agree that this is the sort of price range to expect?

Thanks again,

Bill

• 5 months later...

Thanks guys. I passed on the car. I did a little research and you're right. The economics of this car don't make sense.

However, I will say that getting a clean 928S4 with mileage below 100K seems to cost between $15K and $20K. Assuming that we are, in fact, talking about a clean low mileage car, do you agree that this is the sort of price range to expect?

Thanks again,

Bill

Bill One of my friends (JP Rodkey) passed away in 09 and left his wife with 3 928s in the garage. There is a 79 (Euro), a 1988 S4 with a manual transmission and about 80K miles It is blue, detailed and drives well. There is also a 1990 that needs TLC on it's white interior. Anyway she has advertised the 88 on the Rennlist previously. I believe she is asking 11,900 and has turned down $9K. It is in excellent mechanical condition with a crack in the pod, and one previous accident that was minor and she has the receipt for the repair. The cars are in the Milwaukee area. Let me know if you are interested.

Larry