Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Aftermarket Stereo Installation

I've been reading all of the various posts on the topic, and haven't found quite what I'm looking for. There are a HUGE number of very knowledgeable individuals on this site (as I've seen from the quality and quantity of the posts on all kinds of topics), and I'm hoping that one or more can help me with my goal here. I'll be glad to post photos and descriptions when I get to doing the install.

My first question is this: which head unit should I go with? I'm hoping for updateable GPS capabilities, direct iPod/iPhone control, and reasonably close to OEM appearances as possible. I was looking at a Kenwood unit, and a couple of the Alpine ones, as well. Are there any that Porsche owners have found to be more compatible with the Boxter look-and-feel?

My second question is about how to relocate the climate controls from the upper console to the lower console (currently where my CD storage unit and empty dash cubby are). I've seen a couple different posts regarding that, but I'm concerned about drilling/modifying the interior of the car on my own. Do you (collectively) have any suggestions? I've attached a photo of my console for reference. The device hanging from the vent is a GPS holder that has since been removed.

I continue to be impressed (though to be fair, I only joined today) by the amount of knowledge and experience the members of this site have to offer, and I look forward to contributing as well, as I learn more about my Boxter S (which I've only had for just over a month now).

Thanks!

post-63608-0-19578100-1289826209_thumb.j

Rob,

Check the following link:

The author, trieullionaire, is a board member and also markets installation kits. (I have no affiliation with his business, but have used two of his kits to install two nav systems.)

I have installed two models of the Pioneer AVIC systems....a -Z3 and a -110BT. Both are great systems even though having more features than an analog man could ever hope to integrate or use. Here, in the U.S., Pioneer offers periodic POI (points of interest),map and software updates all down-loadable from your computer.

You didn't mention in your post what model year (MY) your car is. But, from the enclosed photograph, to appears to be earlier than a model year 2003 (MY03). MY03 is the beginning of the MOST bus era which makes up-grading audio systems much more difficult. A straight forward Becker head unit for GPS nav system head unit swap is pretty easily done. If you want to get fancy with mega-watt amplifiers, theater quality speakers, etc., things get correspondingly more difficult. As far as relocating the climate control goes, if you move the panel down to the cubby position, it fits without any modifications at all. It's just a little fiddly running the wires down to the new position. If I recall correctly, trieulionaire has as part of his installation kit, a new bezel that fits perfectly around the climate control panel when re-located to the bottom-most position. The four CD holder can be removed and a properly fitting cubby can be purchesed from Porsche to take its place.

By the way, I love IWM Duxford and try to visit every two years or so.

Bill

Rob,

Check the following link:

The author, trieullionaire, is a board member and also markets installation kits. (I have no affiliation with his business, but have used two of his kits to install two nav systems.)

I have installed two models of the Pioneer AVIC systems....a -Z3 and a -110BT. Both are great systems even though having more features than an analog man could ever hope to integrate or use. Here, in the U.S., Pioneer offers periodic POI (points of interest),map and software updates all down-loadable from your computer.

You didn't mention in your post what model year (MY) your car is. But, from the enclosed photograph, to appears to be earlier than a model year 2003 (MY03). MY03 is the beginning of the MOST bus era which makes up-grading audio systems much more difficult. A straight forward Becker head unit for GPS nav system head unit swap is pretty easily done. If you want to get fancy with mega-watt amplifiers, theater quality speakers, etc., things get correspondingly more difficult. As far as relocating the climate control goes, if you move the panel down to the cubby position, it fits without any modifications at all. It's just a little fiddly running the wires down to the new position. If I recall correctly, trieulionaire has as part of his installation kit, a new bezel that fits perfectly around the climate control panel when re-located to the bottom-most position. The four CD holder can be removed and a properly fitting cubby can be purchesed from Porsche to take its place.

By the way, I love IWM Duxford and try to visit every two years or so.

Bill

Bill,

Many thanks for the link, and the information about trieulionaire's installation kit. I'll have to contact him to see if he's got something for my 2000 Boxter S.

I've not checked into the Pioneer AVIC systems at all, but will be doing that now. They might meet my requirements; if they offer a European version of the GPS software, all the better. Granted, I'd like it to be updatable, so that when I return to the US in a couple of years, I can use it there. :)

The climate control will relocate without modification? Will it stay in place and not cause any performance issues? That'll have to happen at the same time as the stereo install, as I don't like the idea of a gaping hole in my dash unless it's "finished" (like the cubby).

Thanks again; I'll go now to check out that link.