Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

987 rear noise / rattle

I have a Boxster S 2009. It’s been a long time since I hear an annoying knocking – rattling sound, near the rear passenger seat between wheel and engine section when driving at low speeds over road bumps or unsmooth road terrain. It is like driving a cheap 10 year old car that is ready to fall apart.

My local dealer (not the sharpest knife in the cabinet) has inspected the car with no success. It seems that mechanics nowadays lack intuition and are mere Service Manual readers.

I have done everything; exhaust ckeck, sway bar check, roof inspection but without success.

I will really appreciate if you can help me on this

Edited by Everflow

Thank you for your reply. I have changed the fan under warrantee and the noise is still there. I am certain that this noise is not normal and I really don’t know if it troubles the majority of Boxster owners.

Is there any chance that the problem is located in sway bar; ball joints etc. and cannot be detected with a bare eye?

Since I have Porsche warranty I am considering to contact the factory in Germany and wait their reply. However I don’t think that they can do anything from their location.

Edited by Everflow

• Moderators

I do not think that Porsche Germany will loose sleep over this issue (guess why i know that), the dealer must solve that problem in first place, therefore he is appointed. You have the right to change any dealership, or at worst write Porsche North America.

• Upvote 1

I have arranged a new appointment (6th in a row) for the same reason in the same dealer. I hope I will have news within next week.

I found some good trails on you tube for similar mechanical sounds searching keywords ‘‘ball joints’’ ‘‘sway bar’’ etc. they sound pretty much the same as my problem.

Maybe this can help other forum members to identify annoying axel - suspension sounds

I hope that this time the problem will find a solution otherwise I am obliged to contact Porsche North America and cc Germany.

• 2 weeks later...

After more than 6 months of annoying noise the problem is solved.

My first advice is the following: Change Dealer.

I have changed dealer, he kept the vehicle for 2 working days.

The problem was not a ball joint or a sway bar after all.

He made the following routine inspections

1. Re-installed all carpets, upholstery and covers from passenger cabin and engine compartment.

2. Re-installed both car seats.

3. Secured the plastic storage room/cover located behind the head of car seats.

4. Re- installed roof.

5. Secured exhaust heat shield.

6. Secured window and lock mechanisms.

Although he couldn’t identify the primary cause of the noise, I am pretty determined that the synchronization of 2 or 3 causes of the list echoed in the rear wheel of the car. All labor covered under warrantee.

The mechanic informed me that the Boxster is the noisiest car of the current Porsche production line and it needs periodic maintenance to prevent rattling.

Edited by Everflow