Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

slow engagement of 2nd gear from 3rd

I have a 1997 Tip. Recently I have noticed that if I brake firmly, the car would slow down, and the tip would downshift - only that when shifting into 2nd gear from 3rd it takes about 3 seconds!

This only happens if I am braking firmly and downshifting in either auto or manual. If I brake lightly to allow the car to downshift into 2nd gear before coming to a full stop, and then step on the accelerator to take off, there is no problem. If the car comes to a full stop during the 3 second window period when it tries to downshift into 2nd, the gear simply doesn't go into 2nd. It sits somewhere between 3rd and 2nd. So if I was to then accelerate, the rev would go up but the car won't move, for a few seconds, and then the car kicks into action (feels like the 2nd gear has now finally "hooked up") with a sudden jerk.

It just seems that the car needs a bit of travelling distance in order to downshift from 3rd to 2nd - if this distance is shortened, the gear sits in between the two and results in subsequent slippage when taking off again.

This happens very often - as I brake firmly into a corner, accelerating out of it from 2nd gear would result in the rev going up but the car not accelerating, and then a jerk kicks in to suddenly pick up the acceleration.

Has this happened to anyone else? Does anyone know why this is?