Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Porsche Outdoor Car Cover

I just purchased a new Porsche Boxster outdoor car cover for my '99 986 and need some help on a couple of install questions. You might think well duh can't he read or figure it out but the cover I bought turned out to be for a 987 and not a 986 and I think the 987's are a little longer and wider. The lady who was selling it had gotten it with her Boxster and never opened it due to having a garage. She was confused about it's application and couldn't find the part number but for $75+$12 for shipping I couldn't pass this by. The cover seems to fit fine but the install instructions are vague about two things. The first instruction says to attach the suction cup to the windscreen. The only way I can get the cover to come out of the carry case is to attach the suction cup to the bottom of the windscreen in the middle of the wiper arms, otherwise the rear of the cover comes out where the front should be. Is this the correct place to attach the suction cup? The third step of the instructions is to lock the anti theft straps in the front bonnet. Where they are positioned, on the inside of the cover, it looks like they go into the bonnet from the top near the windscreen then the bonnet is closed. I guess the theory is the round cylindrical parts on the end of the straps catch inside the bonnet if someone tries to steal it. My question is is this the right place to put the straps as they really stretch out when the front of the cover is pulled on and are tight enough to bunch up the cover a bit where they are attached to the inside. Also couldn't someone just pull the cover up and cut the straps? Anyway if you have one of these covers and can answer my questions I would be grateful. I'm sure it will turn out to be a duh situation for me but that's happened before.

I just purchased a new Porsche Boxster outdoor car cover for my '99 986 and need some help on a couple of install questions. You might think well duh can't he read or figure it out but the cover I bought turned out to be for a 987 and not a 986 and I think the 987's are a little longer and wider. The lady who was selling it had gotten it with her Boxster and never opened it due to having a garage. She was confused about it's application and couldn't find the part number but for $75+$12 for shipping I couldn't pass this by. The cover seems to fit fine but the install instructions are vague about two things. The first instruction says to attach the suction cup to the windscreen. The only way I can get the cover to come out of the carry case is to attach the suction cup to the bottom of the windscreen in the middle of the wiper arms, otherwise the rear of the cover comes out where the front should be. Is this the correct place to attach the suction cup? The third step of the instructions is to lock the anti theft straps in the front bonnet. Where they are positioned, on the inside of the cover, it looks like they go into the bonnet from the top near the windscreen then the bonnet is closed. I guess the theory is the round cylindrical parts on the end of the straps catch inside the bonnet if someone tries to steal it. My question is is this the right place to put the straps as they really stretch out when the front of the cover is pulled on and are tight enough to bunch up the cover a bit where they are attached to the inside. Also couldn't someone just pull the cover up and cut the straps? Anyway if you have one of these covers and can answer my questions I would be grateful. I'm sure it will turn out to be a duh situation for me but that's happened before.

Windscreen is usually the rear lexan screen that is inserted between the rollbars.

Windscreen is usually the rear lexan screen that is inserted between the rollbars.

We call it a windshield in the US but the Germans call it a windscreen. A car cover wouldn't attach to the lexan screen as the top would have to be down.