Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Lack or rear camber on alignment?

Had the Boxster on the rack today, trying to get some baseline numbers before I lower it on PSS9's, and noticed that my right rear, even adjusted as far negative as it will go, I am only getting -.7 degrees of camber. The left adjuster lets me go from -.9 to -2. I am suspecting either a damaged/ bent lower control arm or rear track arm.

Porsche has the motorsport adjustable control arms (unfortunately BIG money) and Tarret (and I'm sure a few others) make adjustable trailing arms and rear track arms, but how much of this is really going to be needed to get this right?

Input from those in the know would be greatly appreciated.

We recentered the subframe, and still struggled to get camber and toe the way we wanted it on both sides.

On driver rear, we could get decent negative camber, but the toe adjusting arm was not long enough, so we had too much toe in. On the driver side, we could not get equal negative camber no matter what we did. Nothing on the control arm or the bolt was bent. I did have an issue with the adjusting bolt on the toe arm on that side.

Two different race shops have told me the cars are very inconsistent in what you can dial in using the stock stuff. Some cars, you can get there OK with stock stuff - others no.

I eventually bit the bullet and installed adjustable toe arms and GT3 control arms on all four wheels. My 986, though, is a full on race car, and I change camber, toe and spring rates (on PSS9s) depending on the track.

So, yes, look at the adjustment bolt, look to see if the subframe is centered, inspect the toe and control arms for bends. Also note the relationship between camber and toe - if you can get the camber you want but you are toed-in a ton, you know the problem is the toe arm (you probably already know this, but just in case). But in my experience, dpending on how much negative camber you want, you may not get there with stock stuff.