Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Boxster Top - motor failure

My car is a 2002 Boxster. I've not had any issues since I bought the car new. Yesterday, when I tried to put the lid up for the night, the motor really bogged and groaned to get the roof up all the way. It never quite made it and now my red light is on. It sounds like my roof motor is failing. It's trying but doesn't have the juice to get it fully secured. The clamshell is down but not fully; the left side is sticking up about a half inch.

I just read a thread from another forum suggesting I rev the engine to 2000 rpm to get more power to the process. It did help, I got my top to move up a little to where the light went off. Then I tried to re-open the lid and it bogged again. The clamshell came up a few inches and then the right side lagged but the left side was still movinng. I stopped so I wouldnt bend or break it any further. It looks like my motor is fine but the mechanism on the right side is not working properly.

Edited by gregrcamp

Sounds like it may be only pulling from one side (in-part or all). Could just be one of the usual small part failures mentioned often here.

Regards, PK

Edited by pk2

Had the same thing happen to mine. At first I thought it was the red ball joint that had broken which it had but I was more interested in why that happened. Turns out the square drive from the cable to the motor had twisted off suggesting the cable is jammed somewhere along the line. Hoping a cable replacement will fix the problem...parts to be ordered tomorrow.

Gary

Now my mechanic says that the motor on the left side is not spinning and may need to be replaced. Says a new motor from Porsche costs 680$ Can there be any other reason that the motor might now function other than complete failure?

That's unlikely since it is one motor that drives two cables. I just finished taking mine apart and putting back togehter...one of the cables was broken. I offered my phone number if he wants to call me in the last reply.

GW

Now my mechanic says that the motor on the left side is not spinning and may need to be replaced. Says a new motor from Porsche costs 680$ Can there be any other reason that the motor might now function other than complete failure?