Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Rear track control arms

Having replaced my front control arms about two years ago I want to do the rears. I was just wondering if the rear are in any way more of a problem to replace, don't want to start a job I may not be able to complete. Had to have the track adjusted last time, is this likely to be an issue with the rear tca's. Would be grateful for any advice.

Yes, in replacing the lower control arms in the rear, you will need an alignment following. In the rear, the control arm is used to adjust camber, unlike the front where the control arm's lateral position is fixed. You can try marking the position with paint, but in my experience, while that might get you in the ballpark, it will not be good enough.

The work itself is not all that difficult. Couple of gotchas -

It is hard to hold a torx bit on the ball joint to keep it from turning when removing/tightening the nut. I use a small wrench with a short bit.

And sometimes it is difficult to get the camber adjusting bolt out, but if you study it, you can begin to undertand how it is oriented.

Finally, if you drop that aluminum triangle shaped pan off the studs, it never seems to want to line back up right. You just have to keep working it - takes patience

Many thanks, out of interest how is the camber adjusted?

My apologies if this post ends up being posted twice - I seem to have had a glitch in trying to add the first time.

The camber bolt is an eccentric bolt so that its rotational axis is offset from the center. It's like a big washer, but with the hole off to one side, not in the middle. On the head side of the bolt, the"washer" is part of the head, permanently fixed to the bolt. On the nut side, the "washer" has a tab on it that fits into a groove that runs part of the length of the bolt. If the bolt rotates, the"washers" also rotate.

The washers are set between two flanges on the suspension subframe so that they ride against them. If the bolt is rotated, the control arm moves in and out as the offset washer rides along the flanges.

Here are some pictures to clarify.

First is the nut side of the bolt. The red arrow is pointing at what I call theflange. The "washer" is circled in red.

The second image is of the head side of the bolt - sorry, poor lighting.

Note the LCAs in these pictures are shimmable control arms, but for purposes ofshowing the camber bolts and how they work, that does not make any difference.

post-26886-0-39961600-1314042576_thumb.j

post-26886-0-64691400-1314042593_thumb.j

• Upvote 1