Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Best suspension for Boxster S 2001?

Hi!

I bought a boxster S 2001 this april with 76000km, in good condition in general. Although Montreal streets are very bumpy,my mechanic told me my suspenions need to be replaced next year, I agree as the ride quality is very poor and I hear like knocking metal from the rear. I was wondering thats a good replacement suspensions system you guys can recommend and where I can buy it from on the web?

Thanks in advance,

Samy

That's sort of a hard question to answer as there are several suspension pieces that can be updated, and it all depends on what you want.

To keep it simple and relatively inexpensive, and considering you have rough roads, you might want to go back to near stock.

In that case, Bilstein makes repalcement dampers that run somewhere around 200 to 250 a piece. Bilstein makes the dampers that came on the car.

Usually worn out springs cause the car to sag. Springs will often outlast the life of a car unless the car is doing a bunch of heavy towing, are overloaded, etc. So unless the car is sagging, I would bet your springs are fine.

Then there are all the control arms, bushings, bearings, etc. If the arms are OK, then it is possible to press out the old bushings and put in stock ones to replace. Considering the mileage and the environment, I would recommend doing this. It is cheaper than replacing all the arms, again, assuming the arms are all OK. Upgrading your busings and spherical bearings on all these arms is great for track handling, but on a street car, upgraded and.or solid bushings will transfer in more road noise and make the ride harsh. Don't forget the bushings in the sway bars - two in the front and two in the back.

And finally, take a look at the strut mounts in the front and back. They also have bushings that are often a wear item. Although with these, just replace the mount completely.

Then my reco is:

* Bilstein 046239/046222 or 046215/046222 (tire rack, pelican parts - lots of places to get)

* new strut mounts (dealers - sunset, suncoast, others)

* replace all control arm and sway bar bushings and bearings (dealer might have - pelican has sway bar bushings)

* inspect and replace any damaged control arms, toe arms, etc.

First off thanks in taking the time to explain everything, I'm a computer tech but in no way know about mechanics..I'm gonna look into M030's I think when I'm ready as it's almost time to store it, but have to take in consideration clearence as my garage is big time inclined.

That's sort of a hard question to answer as there are several suspension pieces that can be updated, and it all depends on what you want.

To keep it simple and relatively inexpensive, and considering you have rough roads, you might want to go back to near stock.

In that case, Bilstein makes repalcement dampers that run somewhere around 200 to 250 a piece. Bilstein makes the dampers that came on the car.

Usually worn out springs cause the car to sag. Springs will often outlast the life of a car unless the car is doing a bunch of heavy towing, are overloaded, etc. So unless the car is sagging, I would bet your springs are fine.

Then there are all the control arms, bushings, bearings, etc. If the arms are OK, then it is possible to press out the old bushings and put in stock ones to replace. Considering the mileage and the environment, I would recommend doing this. It is cheaper than replacing all the arms, again, assuming the arms are all OK. Upgrading your busings and spherical bearings on all these arms is great for track handling, but on a street car, upgraded and.or solid bushings will transfer in more road noise and make the ride harsh. Don't forget the bushings in the sway bars - two in the front and two in the back.

And finally, take a look at the strut mounts in the front and back. They also have bushings that are often a wear item. Although with these, just replace the mount completely.

Then my reco is:

* Bilstein 046239/046222 or 046215/046222 (tire rack, pelican parts - lots of places to get)

* new strut mounts (dealers - sunset, suncoast, others)

* replace all control arm and sway bar bushings and bearings (dealer might have - pelican has sway bar bushings)

* inspect and replace any damaged control arms, toe arms, etc.

I had the M030 on my '04 986S. It is a very good choice. M030 will get you new dampers, new springs and I think new sways too. It will not do much to ride height; likely be nearly the same as what you have now, which sounds good if you have an incline to negotiate.

Be sure you take a look at all those bushings. That will make a huge difference.