Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Aftermarket warranty

Alberta Alex

My Porsche warranty will expire on the 21st of Oct on my '08 Turbo cab. Over the years I've had a couple of Boxsters. Once out of warranty in the Boxsters I've never purchased aftermarket warranty, with good results.

Being fairly new to the Turbo (I purchased it in April this year) I'm unfamiliar with the "usual" problem areas and the resulting costs.

Any timebombs that I should be aware of? Any pros or cons regarding aftermarket warranty. Last time I checked I think I can get up to 5 years extended aftermarket warranty for $6,000+. Should I self-insure or is this a good purchase?

Alberta Alex

PS. My car will be going into hibernation for 5-6 months at the end of Oct.

Alex,

I got an extended CPO on my 07 Turbo. I bought it from an independent Porsche dealer but he has a good relationship with my dealer. Do you have a good relationship with your dealer? I would suggest you go that route first. I already had a form of CPO when I bought the car but it was the "basic" version. My service tech at my dealer suggested that I buy the full CPO for $3,300. That would give an additional 2 years and up to 100k miles on the car. I have to say that the warranty has already paid for itself 3 times over. I had some carbon interior pieces replaced, new PCM (the CD would eject properly so they just replaced the whole unit.) Clutch actuator and a couple switches. Recently i had the carbon hadbrake replaced and there was a squeak in my clutch pedal. Turns out the squeak was coming from the bell housing. They replaced all internal parts and a new slave cylinder. If I would have had to pay for all of the little things I have done it wuld be around $14,000. So the $3,300 for the Porsche CPO was WELL worth it. Plus you get a Porsche to drive when the car is being serviced.

How many miles on on your car? If it's low miles the dealer might work with you. They actually have to put your car in their inventory and act like they sold it to you. Otherwise Porsche won't allow it.. That's why you need a good realtionship with your dealer.. With the economy being why it is they might be more cooperative than usual.

I hope this helps. If you do go the route of an aftermarket warranty make sure you talk to some Porsche shops and see who pays and who doesn't. "Easy Care" has a very good reputation. I had on of their warranties on my 2006 Carrera S but never had an issue with the car (so I never had to test them.) They were quick to refund me 75% of the purchse price of the warranty when I sold the car though.

Good luck. I will never have a Porsche without a warranty. To me it's just good insurance...

Thanks Phillip. Although I have a good relationship with my dealer, I'm sure they would not consider what you suggest about CPO because I didn't purchase my car from them. I bought it from an Aston Martin dealer in a foreign country, the USA. ;)

What I was hoping to determine is if there are any inherent issues with these cars. For example, the M97 engines, especially the 2000 - 2005 ones are prone to IMS caused catastrophic engine failures. The RMS issues are also well known with that engine as well.

I specifically purchased the Turbo because of its GT1 based engine, which I understand is pretty much bullet proof. I don't plan on modifying this car, with perhaps the exception of an aftermarket exhaust to make it sound more like a "real" Porsche.

Any idea how long the stock turbos and intercooler/s tend to last? If they last 100+k miles that sounds reasonable, but if I'm looking at major turbo/intercooler cost at 50K or so that would help me decide whether a $6,500 aftermarket warranty might be worthwhile.

I usually put 5 - 6,000 miles per year on my Porsches in the 6 months or so of driving weather in the Great White North. With luck and good maintenance, I plan on keeping this car for 8 - 10 years. Being 65 years old, this may be my last Porsche. :(

Thanks again for your views.

post-15900-0-38945500-1317841744_thumb.j

Oh I see. Well you don't really have to worry about the engine gernading.. I would say the turbos and intercoolers will last WELL past 100k. Boost Hoses may need to be replaced. If your car is a manual you will eventually do your clutch and flywheel. That all depends how you drive your car.. I'm quite easy on clutches. And of course things like brakes etc.. My car has ceramic brakes. I have 50k miles on the car and my tech said my pads were barely worn. If you just keep up on the maitenance these turbos are pretty trouble free. I put about the same amount of milage that you do anually. Maybe just take that $6500 and keep it for a rainy day (car day.) I have a Tech Art exhaust, and a GIAC chip. Makes the car quite quick (or quicker).. Once my warranty is out I'm going to put on the big Turbos, intercoolers and 3 stage clutch..Still very reliable with 700+ hp.. I plan on keeping mine as well.. Maybe in four years I will buy a low mile next gen Turbo. I can't wait to see the new one in 2012... Good luck!

Edited by phillipj