Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Hi,

A week ago my clutch begin feeling a bit "squishy", shifting felt different and car would tremble a bit when begin moving on first gear. Next day I did the common clutch test...drove at 30-40 in 5th gear, nothing. But when I did the same on 4th the RPM began raising but the speed didn't ... so I'm assuming it is the clutch. My car is 2006 with 57K. I consider myself a good driver and don't abuse the clutch but I got the car with 30K, therefore, I can't say the same about the original owner.

Now, is there a way to ensure that the clutch is the issue before taking it a part? How do I know that isn't the clutch slave or master cilinder...or something else?

Thank you for your responses!!!!

Also, if it is the clutch...any issues with buying the kit from Sachs' brand?

And is there a how to replace a clutch guide on Renntech?

cheers!!!

Edited by leocanto

Hello,

If your RPM's increase and road speed stays the same the clutch is slipping. From what I have seen it is not uncommon for those cars to need the clutch replaced at that mileage. In addition to the clutch, the dual mass flywheel needs to be inspected at the same time. You should be able to move the flywheel surface no more than an inch clockwise then counter clockwise. While you are in there replace the flywheel seal and intermediate bearing flange seal. You could have oil on the clutch disc causing the slippage.

Take Care,

Aaron

Aaron,

Do you think that I should replace the flywheel seal and intermediate bearing flange seal even if I don't have to replace the flywheel (I'm hoping not since I have not driven the car since I realized that it was slipping)? And if yes, do you know part no. for them or a link? (I could not find on pelican parts).

Thx!!!

I would do the seals regardless of whether or not it needs a flywheel, especially if it looks like they have been leaking. You will also need to pick up 8 flywheel bolts because they are one time use only bolts. The part numbers are as follows: Crankshaft Seal-99710121200, IMS gasket-99610511201, Flywheel Bolts-99907309201. If you do the iMS seal, be sure and follow the Porsche procedure for putting the engine on TDC. Let me know if you need anything else.

Best Wishes,

Aaron

My clutch was doing the same thing as yours.

I bought a Sach's kit for under 500 bucks and replaced it. No leakage at the IMS or RMS so I left them alone. I just cleaned the flywheel up with emery cloth without removing it.

New clutch works great.

There is a DIY somewhere on the internet on a 996 clutch replacement that I used as reference. Pretty straightforward job , although I struggled with realigning the gearbox for awhile.