Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Persistant Cam cover leak

Hey all, got a question about cam cover sealant. I have removed my cam covers 3 times and have a persistant leak on the passenger side. I cleaned the surfaces well and used Loctite 5900. Torqued according to the manual and it was good for a few months.

Car is stored now due to weather and i would like to get this resolved. This time I am doing it with the engine in the car, but i have removed both blowers from the passenger side to allow more room. Is there a different (better?) sealant that I should be using? Any tips to make it successful? Thanks

post-31855-0-16402400-1321729709_thumb.j

post-31855-0-02269400-1321729729_thumb.j

post-31855-0-46145500-1321729749_thumb.j

Hi you can use drei bond which I've heard is the best. Porsche P/N 00004320373.

I've used Napa copper permatex 5920, it works really well, no leaks.

Another more probable explanation though assuming you followed the correct bead application pattern & size, torque, and tightening sequence is that you didn't use new micro-encapsualated cam cover bolts. The new bolts come with a small amount of sealant on the base of the head, which helps further to prevents leaks.

If you don't want to buy new bolts you can clean the ones you have and apply fresh sealant to the base of each bolt head before you fasten them. You'll need to work fast though, since it sets quickly. Helps to have two people or a way to dispense the stuff quickly.

Can they leak? Sure... frost plug P/N 90003602302 for about $1.00

Or take them to your local machine shop and have it done right... they probably have a plug that will fit or can press it in for you.

They can either replace with a new plug or even tap the hole and put in a threaded plug.

• 2 weeks later...

Removed the frost plug, Obviously it has been leaking. Replaced it with an 18mm frost plug from Napa.

Resealed cover with Napa copper permatex. It seems to be considerably thicker than the Loctite 5900.

This time I removed both blowers from the passenger side and dropped the engine a bit. Made it easier to get the cover back on.

Just waiting on parts from Auto Atlanta...o ring's and spark plug tubes. Next time will use Sunset...much faster shipping and cheaper.