Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Clutch replacement Costs

Hello,

I just dropped my 2006 C4S Cab off at the dealer as I noticed some clutch slip at highway speeds this weekend and an odd feeling in the clutch pedal itself upon release (seemed to stick a bit coming off the floor). No problems with actually shifting into a gerar or anything. I am not the original owner but bought this one owner car with about 15K on it and have put another 15K on myself. I can't say how the other guy treated it but I have not abused the clutch. This is my 3rd P-Car and it seems very strage to me that a clutch only lasts 30K miles. On my previous C4 cab (996) I had them replace it with the RMS at 30K and 60K but never experienced any issue with it so it's hard for me to say. The next shocker was that the dealer quoted $3100 to do this work which seemed crazy high for a clutch job. I like this dealer and have used them for years but I'm wondering if this quote is in line or whether its simply time for me to find a good independant Porsche mechanic. Anyway this was the last thing I needed before the holidays. Any opinions/ comments on the quote I received would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I paid $2000 for a clutch job at a dealer about 4 years ago. I didn't have the time to work on my car at that time otherwise I would have done it myself for about $600 in tools and parts.

$3100 is definitely on the high side, do you have a list of what all they replaced?

logray, I don't have a parts list yet. I did leave the car with them and authorized the work as I'm kinda stuck and need it back ASAP. I wouldn't be surprized if the actual bill comes in a little less as I've seen that before with them (I guess - prepare you for the worst so that when the bill comes in a couple hundred less you feel like you got a deal). The Service Consultant suggested doing the RMS at the same time since they'll have the tranny out. I did the reverse of that when the RMS' failed on my 966 but I haven't seen any leaks. I'm a little cautious on disturbing that seal from factory if it's not leaking as even though they supposedly fixed the RMS Seal and install tool from the notorious 996 problem, it did happen twice on my old car.

Update:

I thought I would provide an update - so the $3100 estimated was including sales tax but the invoice was $2888.22 for parts and labor and it showed the following:

997-116-913-15 Set. Clutch $ 820.84

997-116-080-01 Release Bearing 65m $ 221.82

997-073-458-01 Screw 8x16 (6x $1.41) $ 8.46

997-073-092-02 Pan-Head Screw 10x50 (8x$2.45) $ 19.60

Misc. Charges $ 30.00

Labor $ 1787.50

$2888.22 (before tax)

Suncoast has the Porsche 3-Piece kit for $679.95 (clutch, pressure plate and release bearing) and if I wanted to save more I could buy the Sach’s kit (who makes the clutch for Porsche) for a $100 less than that online. Clearly it is work that I cannot perform myself but almost $1800 for labor, $30 for screws and then the additional mystery $30 has me vowing that I take my car to an independent from now on.