Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Tiptronic change under warranty

Hi everyone,

I am approaching 80 Kmiles with my 2006 tip C4S and add enough of the high frequency noise that the car was making on the motorway at roughly 70 M/h, thanks to a Porsche official repair notice I found on the web, I learned they would replace the gearbox without creating issues if the car would have a warranty so I tried and I have a new gear box now, though the garage first tried to change the oil, sent oil samples to porsche and had to record a sound file of it...

another issue that I thought was related to the differential is not change though, when I travel at low speed (city) and I give gas and decelerate, I hear a "clunck" from the back, not loud, but all the time, the garage told me this is differential play and that 1 car out of 3 has that, but my differential is now new with the gearbox and I find hard to believe that this is normal, I was thinking of the rear Cardan shaft ( my central cardan has been replaced less than a year ago), but the garage say it is not possible, would you have any idea about it ? another garage said it could be engine mounts, but it would make the noise when I rev the engine on neutral

Warranty is really worth it, I realize that at 80Kmiles there are a lot of parts that get worn out on a sports car that would not normally wear, I hear this is normal on a 911, here is a list of what was done on my car this year

_IMS sealing ring (complete engine removal), I had a leak and negotiated this at purchase

_Front suspension (entire suspension with bearing...) I had a very bad "spooky house door" noise when I would turn the steering wheel

_Sway bar bushings and tie rods

_front coffin arms

_Central cardan shaft ( when they removed the engine the first time, they noticed the rubber part was porous and since porsche does not sell it separately they changed the whole shaft)

_new tiptronic ( again engine and tans removal)

My warranty is getting to an end, and I am going to take it again, though I think, there is not much that can go wrong now (the engine if I am lucky)

And despite all that and considering selling the car several times, I figured out that "there is no substitute " in the market, I guess one must deserve its cheaper 2nd hand 911, this might be part of the 911 learning curve, and changing for what, a M3 or M6, RS4, not the same fun

Here is a copy of the Porsche Aftersale information on the tiptro

Technical lnforrnation

Section - 3, Tiptroriic Transmrssion

Tiptronic Transmission Repairs

'Jehrcle li/pe: 91 1 Carrera (997)/911 Carrera S (997)

Mode! Year: As of '05 (5)

Concern: Repair work on the 5-speed Tiptronic transmission A97.01 and damage analysis of

transmission damage.

Informatron. Until further notrce, ~nterndrle pairs to the above-ment~onedtr ansm!ssron should n ~bet p 2rforrried.

Tra~smissionsfo und to have internal darnage wrll be replaced. Do not disassemble transmission.

It is requested that you not drsassemble the transmission. Instead, send it with the barcode for

warranty claim processing and the docun~entedir rforrnation listed in the "Warranty lrifo" sect!on beloi$d

to the Warranty Test Center. Use normal warranty return procedures so that we may quickly collect

ir~formationo n rnterrlal trar~sm~ss~doanm age durrng ttie lnitral production phase for product monrtoring.

vYork or tire Tiptrorirc transmiss~ona nd accessories, e.g, transm~ssionr ernobal and rnstallat~ono r

replaceme~3t f sealing rlrigs etc., can be carried out rn accordance with s~ec~frcatronrsn cor~orated

Into the 'itorkshop Manual In POSES.

lqarranty Info Accdrdte rnformatlon about the cornplalnt and the -inc~mstances ~nvolbed 1s necessary vghen the manual

transrnlss~onsa re returned Th~sW II! allov, for aetter analysrs of the trar~srr~issiodna tnage

Please document the following information and include it with the returned transmission.

1. Gear-changing difficulties: - Type of gear-changrng drff!culty (e g rough shifting, shrftrng jerks shWrr~g 1s delayed or cannot

com~leted - At whrch gear cnange? - In ~vhlch selection mode iD,4/lj9

- Rhen shtftlng up ot doinin? - Gatsrde temperarure iapproxlmatelyl

- Operat~ngc ondrtion (warmed up/coldi

2. Noises:

- Type of noise (e.g. howl~ngs, inging, whrstling, grinding, knocking, grating, clicking).

- Load ccndition (traction, deceleration, partral load, full load).

- Vehicle speed, engine rpm. - Transmissron range, select~on mode (D,/M). - gperatlng condrtion (v~arrnedu p,icc;ld).

3. Leaks:

- Precise description of the leaking area: e.g. 'transm~ssionin put shatt seal leaks' or "left/right

drive shaft seal in direction of travel leaks'.

References. POSES, Workshop Manual, 9i 1 Carreta (997):

> Group 3 Tr ansmrssron, automat~c transmlssron

(Ti2OC.l Po:.%chi: Cjrs Nor.!!! &p?pr;ca inc, Aftersales Date: 8-10-04

Page 1 of 2