Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I have a 2003 Boxster and have recently started getting a CEL. The OBDII code reader shows P0348 as Camshaft Position sensor A Circuit High Right Bank. From you experienced mechanics. Is this on the right side and where is it? All my research indicates that on the 2003 and up engines it is on the front top around the front end of the right cam????? Which way is the best to access and change the sensor? Next question is about the replacement part. Parts research for this sensor shows OEM non dealer parts like Beckley and Arney that range from around $92 to Standard at $172. Any experience out there on these parts???? Thanks in advance

sipc641_1.jpg

You can use the Bosch part, it is the same one Porsche and Mercedes sells for 2-3x. Here it is for $80:

http://www.rmeuropean.com/Part-Number/Camshaft-Position-Sensor-__0041536928_BOS_94E6B777.aspx

On a 986, the bank 2 sensor is drivers side, it will be right behind the drivers seat atop the cylinder head right next to the cam cover.

Once you get to the sensor, it is a simple unbolt/rebolt procedure, but I'm not sure how much extra stuff you have to rip out to get to it.

On a 996, it is a pain since you have to remove the air conditioner compressor to get to the bolt that holds the cam sensor in place.

• 3 weeks later...

You can use the Bosch part, it is the same one Porsche and Mercedes sells for 2-3x. Here it is for $80:

http://www.rmeuropea...S_94E6B777.aspx

On a 986, the bank 2 sensor is drivers side, it will be right behind the drivers seat atop the cylinder head right next to the cam cover.

Once you get to the sensor, it is a simple unbolt/rebolt procedure, but I'm not sure how much extra stuff you have to rip out to get to it.

On a 996, it is a pain since you have to remove the air conditioner compressor to get to the bolt that holds the cam sensor in place.

Thanks for your reply as it was helpful in solving the problem and getting the part. I pulled the front engine cover off and found one sensor on the right bank behind the passenger seat. I unplugged it and cranked the car with the durameteric cable plugged in and found a P0343 Code. I replugged the cable to the sensor and cleared the fault code. I then found the other cam position sensor on the rear of the left bank(looking forward). I had to take off the breather tube between the filter box and mass air sensor housing to get my hand down behind the left bank. I then used a mirror to confirm that it was a cam sensor. I unplugged that one and cranked the car and it threw a P0348 code which is the one that had been turning the CEL on. I ordered the sensor that you told me would work and installed it and so far no more P0348 codes. Thanks for your help. "The Wrench Bender" Edited by drobinson117
  • Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

To logray,

It was eleven months ago that I wrote the above post that you so graciously responded to.. Well guess what??? Yesterday my 03 Boxster threw a check engine light again. But the box on it and it indicated a P0348 code again. This indicates the same cam position sensor has a high output again. Is it unusual for a cam position sensor to fail twice so close together? Being the code shows "high" input, do you have any ideas as to why this might be happening???? Things like a low or insufficient reading might indicate a crimped of crushed wire. I'm puzzled, any ideas other than just replace it again and hope for another year without a P0348 code and a CEL...

Shucks...

Well here's what I would do.

1.) clear the code and see if it re-appears.

2.) if it does, try swapping sensors between banks to see if problem follows the bad sensor

3.) if the problem follows, perhaps the new unit just failed prematurely

4.) otherwise, if this is a start of repeated future failures, perhaps the wiring or DME could be involved. It might be worth testing continuity and condition of the cam sensor wiring between the DME and the sensor.

I've heard of DME's burning up variocam solenoids but this would be the first Ive heard of one doing so with a cam sensor.

hope this helps

Edited by logray

Your advice is what my logic said to do in your steps 1-4 above. Do you have any ohmic values for using a digital meter on the position sensor to check for resistance or open? Seems like I remember that the line voltage should read about 5 VDC coming into the sensor.

Thanks for the input..

DCR