Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

brake lamp change

ok, easy enough. unfortunately, i have a new problem. the passenger side was the side with the light out. when i pulled it out it i was actually missing a bulb and i was curious to see if there was actually supposed to be one there so i pulled out the "bulb holder" piece from the driver's side to see if i had one over there. when i was taking it out (a much tighter squeeze) the whole thing went out!! so i jiggled and unplugged and plugged back and so on and so forth but nothing. i switched "bulb holder" between left and right and it still worked when plugged into the other side. that means it had to be wiring (probably the harness) but i was wondering if anyone could give me a little bit more advice. i don't have a multimeter so i can't check it. thanks for your help.

• Moderators

What country are you in. Is this a LHD or RHD. Are you talking about the brake or fog light.

There is no fog light on the passenger side of a LHD car. Brake and fog light bulbs are different. There is no fog light on the the passenger side of a RHD car. Confusing unless you are in Europe.

Need more info.

I think you did something for nothing....

it's a LHD. i thought it was a brake light. i agree, i may have done something for nothing and am now in worse shape than when i started. regardless, nothing on the driver's side is working (except the brake light). that is, when i turn the lights on, nothing on the rear driver's side works until i press the brake and the brake light comes on.

it stopped working when i was taking the drivers side holder out. i pressed the tab and started trying to work it out. all the sudden it went out. very strage.

i'm sorry if i'm confusing you toolpants.

yeah, that's the one i'm having trouble with. i'm just going to get a multimeter and try to pinpoint the problem. i now noticed that the blinker and the brake light work on that side (not sure about the reverse light, i need a helper) but the "running lights", i.e., lights that are on when the headlights are on, still do not work. i must have just loosened something in that connector when i was pulling it out. it sure seemed sensitive, i just hope something didn't break at the other end of the wire. you don't happen to know where the wires from the connector lead to do you?

also, you don't have any service manual pages about that light do you?

Edited by 1999/986

hey toolpants, can you tell me where the wires run to FROM the connector at the bulb holder? does it go to the fuse panel? i checked the wire just past the connector (on the wire side) and there is no voltage there. so, i have ruled out the bulb holder and the wiring in the conenctor as the cause of my problem. that is bad since now the problem could be anywhere between the connector and the power source. if i can find the other end of the wires then i can check the voltage there and try to trace the problem back. are there any diagrams available for this? thanks for your help.

lsc