Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

IMS Bearing Preventive Maintenance per LN Engineering

Yes, that is exactly what I had done when I did my clutch and RMS. No issues so far. In fact, I spoke to Charles Navarro at LN Engineering about this alternative and he indicated to me that this option does address what many believe to be the root cause of IMS failure (the glue that holds the seal on breaks down,allowing oil to get into the bearing and wash away the "lifetime grease," but there is not sufficient oil to keep the bearing lubricated; removing the seal keeps the bearing lubricated). In fact, he said that since I did this, there was really no need/benefit to retrofitting with his IMS bearing. On top of this, the consistent advice that I have received, and follow, is to change the oil every 6 mos or 5k miles - its really cheap insurance!

One thing to keep in mind though, check out the cost differential between these two options, when I did this, the cost differential was about $1,500 factoring in parts and labor, that was meaningful to me especially since I had confidence that removing the seal was a good alternative. However, if the cost differential is not material to you, you might make a different decision.

Hope this helps,

-tanny02

Edited by tanny02996

Thanks for sharing that info. Was there any further explanation behind the oil change every 6 months or 5k?

I have been following that practice since my purchase and also installed a magnetic sump/oil drain plug for what it's worth. I did read it was a good step to take as metal particles won't do the engine any good. And with the sump magnet you can at least see straight away (if there is anything more than normal). Then you can stop using it and investigate further before thing really go South.

Oil can break down fairly quickly, especially in cars that don't have an opportunity to get hot and burn out the condensation that forms as the oil comes up to temperature. While I always try to drive long enough to get the oil up to temperature, it's not always possible so I change the oil frequently simply to avoid having any condensation remain in the engine for too long and cause issues (oxidation). Again, its really cheap insurance. I can change to oil twice a year on my own for less than the cost of one change at the local dealership and frankly, it saves time (who has the time to coordinate dropping off and picking up from the dealer...).

Edited by tanny02996

Yes, that is exactly what I had done when I did my clutch and RMS. No issues so far. In fact, I spoke to Charles Navarro at LN Engineering about this alternative and he indicated to me that this option does address what many believe to be the root cause of IMS failure (the glue that holds the seal on breaks down,allowing oil to get into the bearing and wash away the "lifetime grease," but there is not sufficient oil to keep the bearing lubricated; removing the seal keeps the bearing lubricated). In fact, he said that since I did this, there was really no need/benefit to retrofitting with his IMS bearing. On top of this, the consistent advice that I have received, and follow, is to change the oil every 6 mos or 5k miles - its really cheap insurance!

One thing to keep in mind though, check out the cost differential between these two options, when I did this, the cost differential was about $1,500 factoring in parts and labor, that was meaningful to me especially since I had confidence that removing the seal was a good alternative. However, if the cost differential is not material to you, you might make a different decision.

Hope this helps,

-tanny02

When you removed the seal, what was the condition of the race and ball bearings? What it still packed with grease or oil?

thanks

Tanny02, many thanks for your response. You appear to be the only one who has so far reported on the removal of the outer seal. May I ask how many miles you have driven since the removal of the IMS bearing outer seal?

of course, about 8k miles. Also, FWIW, the folks at LN Engineering are extremely friendly and helpful - you should really consider speaking to Charles over there, he is the expert. When I spoke to him he did explain that there is at least one shop in the UK that has successfully been using the seal removal technique for years and he did support this as a solution - frankly, I found it refreshing that he didn't recommend that I buy and install one of his bearings since I already removed the seal - he seems like a very forthright and honest person.

Edited by tanny02996

Tanny02, Many thanks for the additional info. Seems to me to be a reasonable preventive measure which I anticipate undertaking this winter on my '06 997 C2s which has the later, largest and unfortunately non removable IMS bearing.

Charles is very helpful and knowledgeable, I agree. He did a fantastic on my 930 top end refurbishing and has provided lots of insight into my iMS bearing concerns.

I would encourage others who have removed the seal to post with their results and mileage since removal.

Cheers....