Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

another cluster question

i have been looking at clusters and have noticed that on the rear sticker there is type US and type ROW. so i can get a clear understanding as i have heard from someone that the plugs on the rear of the US are different to ROW. is that a myth or do i start looking into europe for my parts..........

also i have found a few 996 c2 cluster that were from 6 speed 996 is this an issue as my 986 is 5 speed or it doesnt have any bearing at all

Edited by ausboxster

i have been looking at clusters and have noticed that on the rear sticker there is type US and type ROW.  so i can get a clear understanding as i have heard from someone that the plugs on the rear of the US are different to ROW.  is that a myth or do i start looking into europe for my parts..........

also i have found a few 996 c2 cluster that were from 6 speed 996 is this an issue as  my 986 is 5 speed or it doesnt have any bearing at all

I would imagine a US cluster would be in mph and a Oz cluster would be in kph. So there would definitely be a cosmetic difference at least.

• Moderators

The car is sold around the world. So the clusters are not all the same. Even in North America there is a USA and Canada cluster. Canada is metric and we are still in the dark ages.

It is not the plug or wiring. It is the electronics inside the cluster and the gauge faces. I can put a metric cluster in my US car.

The cluster does not know if it is for a 5 or 6 speed manual transmission, unless you get into the AWD cars. A triptronic cluster however is different because it has the gear indicators. And keep in mind the new style cluster like is on your model year 2004 went into production in 2001, and in 2002 on the 996. The original style cluster will not work on a car made for the new style. Then there there might be the MOST issue for a 2003-2004.

We have the part list for the world so if you see one you are interested in we might be able to look it up.

post-4-1109661670.jpg