Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

RMS replaced by OPC...

All,

The OPC had RMS replaced last year (June 2004) on my car UNDER WARRANTY.

My car is a Boxster S feb 2002 and is now OUT of warranty.

I know that RMS is quite a common issue and i am wondering:

Is the work carried over by Porsche 1 year guaranted anyway??

ie: i currently do not have official porsche warranty anymore, but if RMS fails again this year, would porsche repear that free of charge??

I ask this as i am planing to do an oil service this year but am wondering if i should do it prior june 2005, so that if they discover RMS failure then, they cannot argue i have to pay for it.......

Any opinion greatly appreciated... Eric.

ps: my car had 11000 km at last year service and will have approx 13000km this year and..... YES... i am becoming a 'RMS paranoiac' too!

My take on it is this. Stop worrying about something that "could" happen. Porsche is on its 3 gen RMS seal and it is supposed to be much better. Some have no reoccurance of RMS after the new seal is put in. Enjoy the car.

thanks LVDell.... i' d really like to be reassured by your words...

But my car is a fairly late model (feb02) and had a very low mileage (11t km which is about 7t miles) when it happened.

It is a car that was always very well looked after.... garaged etc...

thanks LVDell.... i' d really like to be reassured by your words...

But my car is a fairly late model (feb02) and had a very low mileage (11t km which is about 7t miles) when it happened.

It is a car that was always very well looked after.... garaged etc...

FWIW

My 02S delivered in Feb 02 had RMS replaced July of 2002 with 5-7,000 miles on the engine. I now have over 40,000 miles and it hasn't leaked since.

In the UK the replacement seal is only guaranteed as long as your warranty. So if its replaced with a day toi run on the warranty, then their work is guaranteed for a day - sucks huh !!

Extended warranty gives us a chance in the UK, but its still down to how your face fits

adsach => thanks! this is a bit more reassuring.

percymon => i' d still be surprised if you' d have a rms failure on your car, and then 3 weeks later another one and Porsche would wash their hands from it!

UK or not UK, insurance or not insurance.

I think i remember a guy on pistonheads being in this situation (out of warranty + rms failing again): initially he was not covered, but after writing a letter to Porsche UK, they covered the whole issue....

PS: the insurance sold in the UK is a 'European Warranty' ... correct?..... so how is it that it costs GBP 750in the UK and EUR 850 in Europe (eg: GBP 550).... same product... 40% more expensive in the UK.... (ps: i got items on my car fixed under European warranty in London)....