Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Help I broke the header bolts!!!

HELP

I didn't use the liquid wrench and the header bolts broke!!! 6 broke on he head luckily just snapping the head of the bolt off adn leaving ample thread, but the collector ones did the same and appear pressed in????

What would be the best way to remove the threaded remains of the bolts in the head? I have smacked them lightly with a hammer per the instructions of liquid wrench after soaking them.

Should I use a pair of vice grips and try to remove them that way or what?

Are the studs pressed in on the cats? will a simple press be ok????

Some ideas for your broken bolts.

We use a product called "Rust Buster". It is like an acid with the viscosity of water. It will disolve the rust and leave enough lubricant film to facilitate removal.

Try to find it at Plumbing supply houses-boiler guys use it to remove broken studs on tankless heaters. It goes way beyond Liquid Wrench and PB.

EZ Out is possible but you will have to drill a pilot hole thru the bolt and use a small enough EZ Out to fit. A very difficult task on a smallish bolt without having the engine on a bench. Also, the smaller the EZ Out, the weaker it is when any tangential forces are applied to it- if going this route better get more than one.

Sears sells what amounts to female EZ outs. They look like a socket but they have a reverse spiral inside (instead of 6 or 12 points) so they grab a stripped bolt head. The challenge here is getting a size to fit, since you don't have any bolt head left. Worth a shot to buy a set.

Good Luck

Regards,

BD

thanks I will have my dad fetch a set. As of right now at least I have the stoptechs done gt3 ducts done hubs done rear brakes done and am waiting for a 10mm flare wrench to put on the rear stainless lines then I will fill with srf bleed all around and then start tackling those header bolts!

Well nothing worked. I even tried an easy out and still nothing as they're in there that great that I broke the easy out. I will be taking it to the dealer tomorrow. I threw on the headers with the bolts available and to the torq spec and it was leaking but not too bad. I am undecided on whether I will have it flatbedded or drive it down there- 15min drive

Well I am trying to get an appointment at a dealer locally here. I called autogallery- nothing till wednesday. I have put calls into rusnak and bh porsche and am awaiting calls back. Anyone have any further suggestions for getting it in asap? Thanks