Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Hi

I have searched around for a while but I'm unable to find similar post. My 02 Carrera has a small leak dripping from the bolt indicated by the green arrow (do not get confused by the read cross and circle, used photo from web). 

drain_plug.jpg

Had my car standing in a steep hill facing down for a couple of days, just outside my garage. When I got it on the flat surface of my garage, it leaked a few drops of oil. The oil level is at max. 

I cleaned the area from underneath, placed a cup directly underneath, and no further dripping, although the area around the bolt had become a bit greasy and I could get oil on my finger. So no high level of oil loss. I have not noticed more dripping.

Anybody that has experienced this or know what that bolt is for?

• Moderators

The oil comes from the RMS, ceated by the (extreme?) angle of inclination, forward or backward, of the car during a large period of time. It has the same effect as an excessively large amount of oil in the engine, kind of overfilling.

• Moderators

Therefor the RMS does not leak or malfunction, any oil seal which is completely covered in oil will leak after a longer period of time. Only with the car in a horizontal position and correct oil level, the seal should not leak, note that for a moment and then decide.

• Upvote 1

I can report that the leak is still there, a few drops each night. Can also report that the oil level displayed from the digital gauge in the dashboard has sunken a few lines from max. The dip stick shows almost full. My first report that the oil level was at max, was before the incident where I parked the car in the hill. So the oil level has not sunken further.

Based on your feedback RFM I have devised a couple of theories.

I had the car in for work in October, LN Engineering IMS, new RMS and clutch. The assembly of the car was done poorly and I got a very squeaky clutch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Olq6OqMzcDc. The shop fixed that under warranty.

Theory #1: The combination, thin 0w40 oil, hot weather (very unusual in Norway) and standing front down on a steep hill for a few days resulted in oil seeping through the RMS. The oil still resides in the bell housing seeping slowly out. Solution, I have to mind where I park my car, not in a steep hill facing down, maybe change to 5w50 oil, with that in mind the dripping should stop.

Theory #2: The guy at the shop who did the job also did the RMS replacement poorly or that the new RMS seal was faulty and it just simply leaks. Solution I go back to the shop and claim a warranty on the RMS.

• Moderators

Go back to the workshop and let them fix the oil leak is the best solution, anyway the thin 0W-40 oil is certainly not the cause of the problem. Since recently not well executed work on the IMS/RMS sheds more cleary light on the matter. It is important facts such as earlier interventions, etc. to mention, it makes help by forum members easier, more targeted and more accurate. I hope you got rid of the problem soon.

• Upvote 1

I had a similar leak. I pulled the trans with the inclination that the rms was leaking. As I took off the pp, it ewas very clear that it was the ims flange seal. The PO had the LN kit installed, but I guess the oil still leaked from the seal.

Had it in for a check at the shop that did the work, they said it was the RMS. They warranted the work and fixed it for free, phew. 

I love my Porsche centre, this is actually the second time they warrant this particular work. Warranted the work and they fixed it for free, and now again, warranted the work on the RMS. Great. Three times the gear box has been out the last six months.