Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I thought I'd do a quick post on Sunroofs, if I ever find myself ordering a new car there is no way I'd ever tick the rattle roof option, a Targa or cabriolet maybe but not a device designed to blind you and suck your eardrums out :)

Unfortunately the previous owner did tick the box and so I'm left with the rattles.

I decided to regrease the rails to see if that would help the situation, it's never used so it had got quite stiff.

Now follows a word of warning.....I greased the rails and then ran the roof through open and closed a few times to distribute the grease. Each time I opened the roof it went a little further back, assuming this was due to the grease helping it achieve full travel I held the button down.....welcome to "teach mode" the roof disappeared back never to be seen again, jammed solid and would under no circumstances come forward.. A great situation in April in England, how I managed to get 48hrs of dry weather at the same time I'll never know :)

I tried the manual override but it was stuck solid, I'd have only broken something by trying.

Sooo...headlining out, sunroof frame out and sat in the lounge with it on the floor surrounded by trim.

I took the motor off, plugged it in on it's own and took the roof to a closed position to fool the settings. Manually reset the roof panel to closed and it was ready to reinstall.

Just a quick point..that took 25 seconds to type and 6 hrs to do :)

While it was all apart I thought I may as well sort any rattles out so it wasn't a wholly wasted day.

In my case the prongs which connect the main carriage to the interior trim panel were hitting the main roof panel, this was obvious from the chaffing marks in the paint.

Two pieces of felt placed between these and the roof panel and silence :D I know Porsche sell some felt tape, but not on a Sunday Afternoon..The felt pads sold for putting under pottery work just as well and available from DIY shops!

I hadn't realised how much more solid the car appears without the noise from this area, well worth doing..

The good bit is that this can be done in minutes without removing anything if you are suffering from the same thing.

Open the roof about 80mm, if you look at the leading edge you will see two clips between the roof and trim panel. If you push the trim panel back and ease these clips you can push the trim panel back by 30mm or so.

Now you should be able to see these two prongs and the likely area of impact, with some manual dexterity you should be able to stick a felt pad in between the two and kill an annoying rattle.

In my case the TSB had been performed however the pads fitted by my OPC had worn through allowing the rattle to return.

If only I'd known that on Saturday my weekend would have been so much more pleasant..At least I know how to take the headlining out now..another box ticked <_<